body

IBS, Anxiety and travelling

4 Week today and counting

 
Soy la lactosa intolerante = I am lactose intolerant

I normally go on holiday abroad alone, however my mum wanted to see some sun again. So I now have a travel buddy.  I hadn't planned to go away this year, but Iv always wanted to show my mum why I fell in love with the Canary Islands, especially Lanzarote. 

A few years ago I spent Christmas  in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote.  It was during one of my bad periods and I just needed to get away from the stresses of the holiday season.  It was also the only way I could think of that my family would be OK with me spending it alone.  

It's hard for friends and family that haven't had a mental health problem to understand that some times spending the day it's self alone is just how I cope.  Big gatherings, even with family and friends are difficult for me to handle. 

The restaurant meal wasn't scheduled till evening, so on Christmas day I took a bus to Playa Blanca harbour and walked the sea front.  I found a great little cafe next to the beach, and had grilled prawns for lunch with freshly squeezed orange juice.  After returning to the hotel, I sat at the pool bar with a drink and read Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol.  It felt like the Canary Island breeze had swept away the dark cloud that had been following me. 

It's strange I get more stressed getting on a bus, than going abroad on a plane!!!  Then again people on a plane are generally better behaved that the people on our local buses. 

So while the holiday will actually be beneficial to my mental health problems, my IBS could be the main problem.  Or I should say both are problems, as we both have totally different triggers. 

While most people would be planning what to wear, Iv been spending my time on the Internet learning useful phrases in Spanish.  And more importantly how to pronounce them. 

IBS survival on previous holidays means I pretty much know the Spanish for most foods.  It's good to know what your eating.   Now Iv got a few more triggers, I thought I better swat up on some more.

Useful phrases

Lactose Intolerant = Intolerancia a la Lactosa
Soya Milk = Leche de soja

Soya Yogurt = Yogur de soja

Yeast Intolerant = Levadura Intolerante

Vegan = Vegano   (Some times it's easier to say your vegan, than explain being lactose intolerant)

If any of the above is incorrect, please tell me before I embarrass myself

Happy Cow is a helpful Vegetarian and Vegan Restaurant Guide.  I found that the resort we plan to go to has a Veggie Tapa's restaurant.  So I'm looking forward to being able to eat out.

I'll keep you posted if I found out any other useful information xxx










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding