body

Recipe testing - Scottish Oat Scones


Scottish Oat Scones
 I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm getting fed up of dairy free cakes and muffins.  I usually rotate what I bake so I don't get bored. However I think Iv been doing to much "baking therapy" lately, in an attempt to combat my usual winter blues. 

Snacks are important, as I follow the little and often diet to control my IBS. The perfect snack for my IBS has got to be  Dairy free, low in sugar and portable.    So scones were the perfect solution as there more bread like, than muffins.  I have also recently found a variation of the traditional  recipe, that Iv been wanted to give I go.  Basically any excuse to bake in the kitchen. 

These  Scottish Oat scones are made using a combination of melted butter, oil and plain yogurt.  So they were easy to make dairy free.  You could also make them egg free by using a substitute, though after baking the recipe I think you could get away with out adding the egg altogether.  The mix makes a very wet dough and the extra moisture wouldn't matter.  Also a traditional  recipe doesn't use or need egg. 

It's a basic wet and dry baking formula, add all the wet ingredients to a jug.  Then add all the dry ingredients to your bowl.  Make a well in the centre of the dry and mix in the wet.  Making them is really easy, my main problem is that I keep on forgetting the oven in my new cooker is fan assisted!!!

The Scones at the back of the photo are strategically placed to hide the slightly burned parts, lol. You can't say I'm not honest.

 The Scones didn't rise as much as Id hoped, I may have patted the dough down to much before cutting out.  On the plus side, there easy to make and taste great.  If you have problems making scones the traditional way, then this method is for you.  For me personally, I think I'll stick to the old way. 

There's something  therapeutically relaxing about rubbing the butter into the flour. 

My next baking experiment is Bake well tart.  I'm making a full dairy version for my brothers birthday on Sunday.  Followed by one of my giant chocolate chip cookies, for my nephew's Birthday on the Monday. 

With 2 more birthdays in December and Christmas, I'm going to be in baking heaven over the next couple of months xxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding