body

Curdled Rice pudding



What it should have looked like.....

Due to a touch of nostalgia I decided to make some rice pudding today.  Also it mean't I'd have a pre-made breakfast for tomorrow morning and 15 mins more in bed.  Cold porridge just doesn't taste as good as cold creamy rice pudding.

For me rice pudding has to be baked in the oven as that's the way my mum taught me to make it.  It was also one of the first recipes I was able to make dairy free. 

 Basic rice pudding constists of 3 simple ingredients 

1 1/2 oz Rice
1 pint Milk
 1tbsp Sugar

Baked at 150 celsius for 1 1/2hrs - 2 hrs

Something magical seems to happen to them, when cooked for a few hours in a low oven.  Only not this time because I decided to add some extra ingredients!!!

One of which managed to react with the soy milk and curdle it.  Suspects are Mixed raisins, diced almonds or desiccated coconut. 

I was able to save it and make it edible by adding some Bird's Custard powder, corn flour/starch would have worked as well.  However it's nothing like my mums...

I use Soya milk as a dairy free alternative, but any dairy free milk would work just as well.  Iv made it with coconut milk in the past.  It totally depends on your personal taste.

For me baked rice pudding is usually a simple low maintence recipe.  You have to baby sit it constantly if you could it one the stove top. 

TOP TIP: - Or learn from Sharabelle's mistakes

- Use a basic rice pudding recipe, and add any additional ingredients once it's cooked. 

- If you like extra creamy rice pudding, fold in some dairy free yogurt. 

Once you get the basic's down you can experiment with rice pudding round the world xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan