body

What came first the anxiety or IBS?


What came first the chicken or the egg?  In my case what came first the Anxiety disorder or the IBS?

Food or drink triggers aren't the only things that can set off IBS.  Stress, worry, depression and anxiety can all cause similar symptoms.  It can become a vicious cycle.  Once set off, the stress of dealing with an IBS episode can be a problem in it's self.

Iv often wondered what came first with me.  I remember having stomach problems as a child, but it wasn't till after I was ill with E-Coli that it really became a major problem for me. (2 weeks before Christmas, talk about bad timing!!!)

INFO: From research I discovered that if you have had food poisoning or gastroenteritis you are more prone to develop IBS. 

All the stress from worrying about my medical last week, added to the fact I forgot to re-order my prescription amitriptyline that I take for my IBS. Is the reason that my stomach is now bloated, uncomfortable and feels as hard as a football.

INFO: Your IBS is likely to get worse as you get older. 

The length of each episode is different for everyone.  In the same way, that triggers are individual to each person.  For me this means it could be 2 weeks before my digestive system gets back to what's 'normal' for me. 

TOP TIP: Peppermint is a natural antispasmodic, it can help relieve the muscle spasms associated with IBS. 

For my IBS, I make sure I eat little and often so I always have food in my digestive system.  Stick to easy bland food, as you would if recovering from a sickness bug.  I also drink lots of peppermint tea.  The tea is also caffeine free.  It took me a while to get used to drinking peppermint tea, ( Never pour milk into it, tastes offal) however now I don't go any where now with out a few tea bags on hand. 

I also wait till my symptons settle down before getting adventurous with my food again.  So dinner tonight is tofu quiche and a wrap.  Lucky for me I actually like Tofu, lol.

On the postitve side, having IBS makes you more aware of your general health. It becomes easier to pick up signs of illness earlier.  It also gives you greater insight to what YOUR body needs to get better xxx















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding