body

Easy dairy free fish pie


Dairy free Fish pie
Iv been working through my favourite foods to find dairy free versions that I can make for myself.  Fish pie has got to be one of my ultimate winter comfort foods.  I became slightly addicted to it when I had to eat soft food, because of my dental brace.  There was a point when I had to go to the Dental hospital every 2 weeks to get them tightened.  So I ate.... a lot of soft food. If you've never had a dental brace, there is no way you want to bite into any food when you teeth ache.  The standing joke at the time was the amount of mental dental tools my orthodontist tried to fit in my mouth at the same time.

Im glad those days are long over, as after a while eating soft food became really boring.  I started to rely on frozen convenience food, as i lost all interest in cooking.  So yesterday is the first time Iv ever attempted to make my own fish pie.  There isn't really any way to take a great photo of a fish pie.  Especially since the only camera I have is on my mobile phone.  The pie turned at okay, but next time I'd add a lot more veggies.  Or serve more on the side. 


I tried finding a recipe on the Internet, but couldn't find one I like.  So yet again Iv winged it, which is why this isn't a recipe but more a general guide to making your own. 

Dairy free Polenta topped fish pie    Makes 4 small portions or 3 large

1 large haddock fillet
1 small salmon fillet
1 cup soya milk
1 tbsp Flour
1 tbsp Vegan butter
Frozen pea's
Quick Polenta

Over a low heat I poached the fish in some soya milk.  Once cooked I removed the fish and kept the milk.  I left the fish to cool before I flaked it into big chunks.

In a pan I melted the vegan butter, over a low heat.  I then added the flour to make a roux and cooked it for a few Min's before adding the poaching liquid.  I added the liquid a little at a time to make a paste to prevent it getting lumps. 

Once the white sauce reached the thickness I wanted, I took it off the heat and poured it into a casserole dish. Then folded through the fish and peas. 

In another pan I made some polenta, and used it to top my fish pie before baking in the oven at 180 Celsius for 35 Min's.

Why polenta?  I didn't have any potatoes, so improvised.  Mashed tatties on top would be just as good.

If you don't like your fish pies too fishy.....  Cook the fish in water instead and discard the poaching liquid, and use plain dairy free milk to make your roux. 

I can't remember the last time I made a roux, but I'll be making a lot more from now on.  It's a great way of making a creamy dairy free sauce, that can be used as a base for lots of meals.  E.g. Creamy mushroom pie or for a creamy pasta sauce.

 If your unsure how to make a roux, my advise is search you tube.  I find watching someone else do something the best way to learn.  Lol, this from the queen of winging it.........





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding