body

Mac and pea's recipe


Mac and Pea's -Before and After

I had my main meal at lunch time yesterday, so wanted something light for my tea.  So as usual, I visualised everything I currently had in my cupboards, so I could work out what would work together.   Then Mac and pea's randomly jumped to the front of my thought que.  

Randoms the only way I can describe how my brain works, I always joke that it operates on a satellite delay.  Getting through daily life continually using anxiety management techniques is mentally tiring.  When I tell people that my brain starts to shut down at around 2pm, they never believe me till they've seen it for themselves.  Days, times and objects get mixed up.  I can mean one thing, and end up saying something else entirely.

eg Hoovering the lawn/grass.  = Lawn mower

Or I totally forget the name of the object and have to describe what it does, so the person I'm speaking too can guess what I'm talking about.   It also happens when I get overwhelmed by a situation,  It happens and I'm used to it.

Living with a mental health problem is hard, but it's also hard for the people around us.  From my experience they can get worried that they've set of the problem.   I just like to give them what I call my "operating instructions"  so they don't take it personally. 

So back to Mac and pea's, earlier this year Id found Hugh Ferney Whittingstall's River Cottage Veg cookbook in my local library.  Which is where I found this great recipe, Iv tried to find a link on the net for it but had no success.  So below is my version.

Mac and Pea's  - 1 single portion (multiply per person)

60g Pasta
125g Frozen Pea's
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp vegan pesto (or you could add veg oil and some fresh herbs)

Cook pea's in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes.  Remove the pea's with a slottled spoon, don't drain. Cooking the pasta in the same water saves time and energy. 

While the pasta is cooking, Blend or mash 1/2 of the pea's with the pesto/oil and seasonings. 

Mix in the rest of the pea's to make a sauce. If you want it  Looser add a little of the boiling pasta water.  The starch in the water from the pasta will help make the sauce more creamy. 

Drain the pasta and return to the pan, turn the heat down low and mix in the pea pesto.  Keep folding in to the pasta, until it's warmed through them serve. 

This makes a tasty easy and dairy free meal.  It's also a great budget recipe, that uses very few ingredients.

I hope you enjoy it, as much as I do xxxx






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding