body

Pumkin Soda Bread - experiments in baking

Pumpkin soda bread

Based on the current weather (Rain, gales ohh and lots more rain) Soup season has now officially started. The perfect accompaniment to soup is bread however Due to my IBS I'm intolerant to yeast.  So I either buy or bake my own soda bread.  Aldi stock a lovely whole wheat soda bread farl, while you can find Chef Paul Rankin's Irish Brown Soda bread stocked in most supermarkets.  Aldi's is larger, cheaper and just as tasty as Irwin's Rankin brand so that's the one I tend to buy.

Budget Tip:- Look at the reduced section in your local shops and supermarkets.  Perishable items like bread are reduced in price when they near there 'best before' date.  As long as you freeze on the same day you buy it, the bread will taste OK.  I split  mine into portions and place in freezer bags,  that way your only defrosting what you need.    It's a great way to enjoy your favourite brands, for a lot less money.

Iv decided to focus my baking addiction  on making my own soda bread again.  It costs a lot less to make you own, and is one of the easiest bread recipes.  For a great basic recipe check out Rachel Allen's website.  The recipe is for a large loaf, half the ingredients to make a smaller loaf ( Still add 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda)  You can make your own butter milk by adding 1tsp of vinegar or lemon juice to your normal milk alternative.  The rise comes from the combination of the acid in the milk, with the bicarbonate of soda. 

If you've read my blog before, you will know I get bored of flavours quickly.  I like to make my food more interesting.  I had home made pumpkin puree in the freezer that needed used, so I was excited when I found this recipe on My Kitchen Addiction for Pumpking Soda Bread.  The only change I made was, that I baked it in my loaf tin to make it easier to cut. 

TOP TIP:- With more bad weather predicted stock up on your baking ingredients. That way if you can't get to the shops you can always make your own bread to keep you going.

I made mine this morning before breakfast, it's that quick to make.  The Pumpkin soda bread has a lovely crust and a soft interior that combined tastes great.  Perfect for toasting, or spread with dairy free butter and served with a warm winter bowl of soup xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding