body

Banana and Oat scones

Banana and Oat scones


The weathers horrible, the shops are already playing  seasonal pop songs in their stores!!! It's not even December yet and I'm officially fed up of Christmas already.  Bah humbug.......  I just find this time of year really depressing.  Too keep busy I like to knit and I really love to bake.  In a strange way by focusing on my IBS food intolerances, helps keep the worst of the depression at bay.  Taking the time to make all my food from scratch is oddly relaxing and satisfying. 
Which is why after baking all weeked for family, I felt the need to bake for myself. One of my previous experiments testing a new recipe for vegan oatmeal scones wasn't a total success, they tasted great but didn't rise.  So as usual when I'm less than impressed with the results, I go back to my grandma's 1950's  Good Housekeeping Cookery compendium for inspiration.

I think we all forget how post war food ration's , made home cooks and bakers more inventive.  While I'm not really keen on the idea of making parsnip mock cream, some great recipes were developed during this time.   Like me they loved to put fruit and veg into everything they baked, lol.

As usual not content with just making ordinary oat scones, I decided to make Banana and Oat Scones instead.  To my surprise it worked!!!  They tasted great and are ideal for breakfast or as a snack.  I definetly be making this recipe again. 




Banana and Oatmeal Scone recipe - Dairy and egg free

6 oz Self Raising Flour
2 oz Rolled oats
2 oz vegan butter (diced)
1 tbsp brown sugar (white works just fine)
pinch of salt
1 banana mashed
1 tbsp Plain yogurt (optional)
Dairy free Milk to mix

- Pre- heat oven too 220 celsuis or 200 celsuis for a fan assisted oven. 

- Mash banana and place in a measuring jug.  Add yogurt (if using) and dairy free milk, till the wet mix measures 1/4 pint or 125 ml's. 

- Measure out flour, salt  and vegan butter into a bowl.  Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour, till it resembles breadcrumbs. 

- Stir in the sugar and make a well in the middle of the dry mix,  Slowely add wet mix from the jug, stir into flour with an knife.  When just combined, use your hand to form a soft dough.

- Flour your work top, and gently pat down the dough till it's 1/4 in thick.  Use a cookie cutter to press out the scones.  Then place on a greased baking tray, and bake in a pre- heated oven for 10 - 15 mins.  Once baked cool on a wire rack.

TOP TIP's:

- Using the top of a drinking glass would work just as well, if you don't have a cookie cutter.

- For a rustic look, form dough into a 1/4 in thick circle.  Use a knife to cut as you would slice a cake or pie.   Will make 4 large Scones or 6 medium Scones, based on this recipe. 

- To check if your scones are baked, tap the bottom.  If it sounds hollow there baked, if not put back in the oven for another few minutes. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding