body

More experimental cooking.....

Experimental cooking

I feel like my body is in hibernation mode, I was in bed for 7.30pm last night.  Ok technically I slept on the couch again, and not my bed. (a mix of insomnia and anxiety issues)  I'd felt my self nodding off from 6pm, so I was slightly wired this morning when I got up.  When Im wired I tend relax by baking.

 
However my fridge is currently full too bursting point with baked goodies, and "She Canny take anymore captain!!!".  (Yep I was once a sci fi geek)  So I thought it best to stick to savoury cooking today, and continue my ongoing mission to explore more veggie recipes, to go further than I have before...........

OK you get the point, wayhaay more experiments in the kitchen.  My lentil loaf turned  out to be a great veggie Haggis, you never know what I could accidentally make next time.  Not wanting to give up i decided to give the savoury loaf another bash.  Iv done my research and decided to wing it again.

It already tastes great and it hasn't been baked yet.   I soaked 1 cup of scotch broth mix last night, then drained and rinsed it this morning.  Added it and 1 chopped sweet potato to a unsalted pan of water.  Lentils can stay hard if cooked with salt.  Brought the water too a boil and left to simmer for 30 Min's.

NOTE: Good old Scotch broth mix contains, barley, yellow split peas, marrow fat peas, green split peas and red split lentils. 

I used a colander to drain the water from the mix, and then returned it too the pan.  Last time I'd blitz in my my blender, this time I used my potato masher so It still had some texture. 

Too boost the flavour Iv added, 1 tsp mustard. 1 tsp miso paste and a little garlic infused oil. 
I then added 1/4 cup of rolled oats to firm up the mix.

Iv patted it down firmed into a lined loaf tin and I'm currently allowing it to firm up in the fridge.  
I'm hoping ( Fingers crossed xxx) that I'll be able to cut slices from it with out it falling apart, so that I can  cook in a frying pan so it gets a lovely crunchy crust. 

Method in my madness.  Nearly all the vegan recipes Iv read call for the addition of nutritional yeast.  There's a lot of debate over whether this non active yeast would still upset some one with an intolerance.  I really don't want to take that chance, so Iv substituted miso paste instead.  Miso paste has a great Umami taste

Can't wait till supper time to see how this experiment works out, whether it's a success or a disaster I,ll keep you posted.   xxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding