body

Scotch meat less loaf


Scotch meat less loaf
My Scotch broth mix meat less loaf worked!!!  The slices did turn out a bit thick, so I just pressed them down with my hands.  Sprayed oil into my frying pan and cooked them over a medium heat, as if I was cooking a quorn burger.  It has the same constitency as sliced haggis or black pudding, without any of the  blood and animal organs. So i didn't flip it to much in case it broke up in the pan (I have no problem with blood and offal, it just doens't like me anymore.)

The various grains of barley, split peas and lentils give this a great texture to eat.  They also provide the starch that binds them all together. I ate mine last night with sweetcorn and spring onion, topped in a little dairy free margarine.  It really needed some sauce, so I had some lemon mayonnaise.    I love mayo it's one of the few creamy condiments I can still use. 

(I love wacky cake recipes, so everysince I found out about using mayo to make a cake Iv really wanted to bake one) 

I had another 2 slices today for lunch with a fried egg and chapati flat bread.   I used the residual heat of the frying pan to warm my flat bread.   The runny egg yolk went perfect with the scotch loaf.  Lol, I blame my mum we some how ended up having a conversation about fried eggs yesterday and Id been craving one ever since. 

From 1 cup of scotch broth and a little effort I made enough for 4 meals.  Making this a great budget meal.

It just needs a few more technical tweeks and I'll be able to share the recipe xxx 

TOP TIP: If your watching how much oil you use invest in an oil sprayer.  I got mine from Argos, all you need to do is buy your normal veg oil and pour it into the spray  bottle.  No need to spend extra money on cans of sprayable oil.  

TOP TIP: Don't get tempted to buy flavoured mayonnaise, save some money as it's easy to make your own.    Place some into a small container and add to taste

- a little lemon/lime juice
- 1 tsp chilli sauce or
- a little grated garlic or mix in a roasted bulb. 
- If your watching your weight, add some plain yogurt to a normal full fat version.  As well as being healthier it also makes your mayo last longer. 

TOP TIP:   Soaking pots and pans,  I fill my dirty ones with clean water and place them back onto the same ring on the stove.  The residual heat will warm the water and help make it easier to clean you pan later. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding