body

Dairy and Egg free Apple cake quest

I baked a Devon shire apple cake tray bake for yesterdays lunch at the Pantry.  The apples are baked into the middle of the cake and should form a layer.  Again just like my Peach Torte the fruit sunk to the bottom.  After all  my pain staking work arranging the fruit prettily

The Devonshire Apple cake Recipe can be made dairy free by using melted dairy free margarine. Be aware the recipe still requires eggs, so isn't vegan.

Iv recipe tested a few dairy and egg free apple cakes, but haven't found one I like yet.  They either sink, turn out too dry or don't really taste of apple!!!!  which is why I gave up and moved onto pies.

Thinking of giving it another go though by fulling converting the Devon shire apple cake recipe. I'm planning to use ground flax seed as my egg substitute.  I'm also researching how to swap the melted margarine for oil.  Conversion Chart

Who knew that learning about fractions and ratios in high school would be useful when baking

I already know that 225g of butter/marg = 1 cup. So I'm going to try and see if using 3/4 cup of veg oil will work. Or a combination of apple sauce and veg oil.  I just prefer the texture that oil gives to a cake.

I'll let you know if it turns out great or an inedible disaster.........

For me Vegan Margarine is best for making biscuits and cookies.  And I prefer using Vegetable shortening for pastry.  But then every ones tastes are different. I always say that if everyone one was the same life would be boring. 

The fun part of baking is being able to produce something specially fitted to an individuals taste.  Something that can't be bought from a bakery or shop. 

I bid fairwell to my old cooker this morning, and my new one (still in its packaging) is currently sitting in my kitchen.  My total star of a brother is coming round tonight to wire it in for me.  Can't wait to bake and cook with it. 

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come, so I can un wrap and play with my presents xxx









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding