body

What's in the fridge!!!!


Master chef Australia had a brilliant challenge last night.  Rather than access to the fully stacked pantry, the contestants  had to randomly pick a fridge.  Each fridge had different ingredients to work with, consisting of the end of last week's grocery shopping and left overs.  (Uk's Watch channel on SKY)

Brilliant idea,  how many times have we stood in front of an open fridge asking our selves the same question.  I was asking myself the very same question last night.

What's in the fridge? and what I'm I going to make?

Current fridge contents                                                        Store Cupboard

2 baking potato's                                                                Penne Pasta
A few spring onions                                                            Quick polenta
Vacuum pack pre-cooked beetroot                                      Cous Cous
Plain soya yogurt                                                                White Rice
Soya milk
Dairy free margarine
2 Eggs
Dairy free pesto
Sun dried tomato's in oil
Marmalade
Left over pastry from making quiche

Then the next question you ask yourself is, What do I really want to eat?

Potential meal idea's
- Pasta and pesto with chopped spring onions
- Potato and spring onion omelet
- Beetroot pesto and pasta
- Poached egg on top of polenta
- Beetroot tart

 The winner was.......


Beetroot tart - Dairy and egg free

I rolled out the herb shortcrust pastry I'd made yesterday.  Placed it in the lid of my small casserole dish and  pricked the bottom with a fork.  Then chilled it in the fridge, while I pre-heated my oven.  I opened my vac pack beetroot, carefully over an open plastic container.  Basically a precaution, as beetroot juice stains everything.

NOTE: Vac packed beetroot is nothing like the pickled type you  get in jars, it's a lovely sweet root veg.  It doesn't cost a lot to buy and can usually be found stocked next to the fresh fruit and vegetables. 

 I Sliced up 2 small ones and tossed then with a dressing of veg oil, cider vinegar salt and pepper.  Basically made the dressing to suit my personal taste.

It's one of the quickest and easiest meals Iv every made, just prettily arrange the beetroot on the crust and baked in the oven for 25 Min's.  Have you every noticed that the best meals turn out to be the ones that are the simplest to make.  This one tastest as good as it looked xxx

Having IBS doesn't mean I have to eat boring meals.  So the question is What's in your Fridge?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding