body

Traveling on holiday with a food intolerance


Costa Teguise, Lanzarote

Holiday checklist

Find veggie friendly or vegan restaurants so I can eat out on holiday.

- Happy Cow website has found me a couple

Find shops that sell that sell Soya milk and fresh fruit and veg.

- Both Euro spar and hiperdino stock

Write down the spanish translation for dairy and yeast free food.

- soya milk = Leche de sojo
- Soya yogurt = yogur de soja
- vegan = vegano (A lot easier than saying I can't eat meat or poulty)
- I am lactose intolerant = soy la lactosa intolerante
- Yeast intolerant = levadura intolerante

Find out if I can take my own food to eat during the flight.

- UK Government website says YES, as long as it's solid food. eg no yogurts, syrups, drinks or sauce sachets

Bake emergency food for traveling

- Orange and cranberry soda bread scones
(Basic soda bread recipe with zest of 1 orange & 50 grams dried cranberry, then formed into scones)









Book Travel insurance

- Done through Asda Travel online, anyone with a mental or nervous disorder (anxiety, stress & depression) can buy this insurance, but you can't make a claim associated with these condition.  Don't have a problem with this, as a holiday in the sun always has a positive effect on my  mental health problems.

- IBS intolerance not a life threating condition so also not covered.  Again fair, that's why I booked a self catering holiday so I could have control over what I eat. 

Holiday clothes

- I have an entire wardrobe of holiday clothes to take on holiday.  I had a habit of comfort shopping online during previous periods of depression. 

Holiday books

- Bucking the normal holiday reading trend I like to read in depth books on holiday. Iv got a few picked out, but might need pick up some more.  ( I read a lot)


Lol, I didn't book my travel insurance till today.  When you have a food allergy or intolerance, your prioritys totally change.

If your planning a holiday abroad, try searching Trip Advisor for information.  I found a lot of traveller's reviews on where I could buy dairy free food.  If like me your going to Lanzarote, check out the Lanzarote Information website they also have helpful information. 

11 days till take off..........



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding