body

Scotch Dhal


Scotch Dahl
Scotch Dahl served over, cumin roasted potato and cauliflower.

Yet another cooking experiment, I had another curry craving.  Personally I blame the weather, lucky for me it's a proven fact that Eating curry and spicy food can help kill cold and flu germs.   Probably the same way they can help clear the sinuses!!.  I love spicy food but Indian would be my favourite.  I stay clear of the 'blow your head of with spice variety', i like to be able to taste my food. Where lucky in Scotland, as we have been exposed to Indian cuisine for several decades now. 

I was first introduced to Indian food  by a family that lived next door.  The mother didn't speak much English, but her and my own mother found a way to communicate through food.  Every so often bajji's and other fresh made treats would find there way over our back garden fence.  Just as every so often so would a jar of my mum's own homemade jam go back the other way. 

This time I decided to make a Dahl, I had to improvise though as I'd run out of red lentils.  I decided to use my scotch broth mix instead, if you don't try something you'll never know if it will work.  I got lucky again and it worked out just fine so Iv decided to call this one Scotch Dahl. 

Dahl is a great low fat vegetarian dish, that's easy to make dairy free version.  There are plenty recipes to be found by searching the Internet.  If you think Indian food is hard to make I recommend you give this one a go.  Using Scotch broth mix is optional though, lol. 

Iv been watching Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Nation on the Good food cooking channel.  It's a fascinating look into Indian and Pakistan culture in the UK, and how they've adapted to their food to match the ingredients that are locally found.  It's great to watch everyday cook's rather than celebrity chef's all the time.  If your looking for more inspiration check out the Egg less cooking a great site for finding dairy and egg free recipes.

If your new to living dairy free, try looking up vegan recipes on the internet.  You'll find it a lot easier than looking for dairy free recipes xxx






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding