body

Birthday bakes

Birthday Bakewell tart

Most girls and boys, young and old usually get a shop bought cake for their birthday.   The fondant decorated ones look great, but can taste really sweet.   I like to make baked gifts that can't really be shop bought, based on the individuals taste.  My brother isn't keen on over sweet treats, but he does love Bakewell tart's making it the perfect birthday gift.   It's also the first bakewell tart Iv ever made, probably not the best time to test a new recipe!!!

This time I got lucky, and it's turned out great.  I had to wash the bowl straight away, to stop myself licking it clean.  This is a full fat dairy version, which defiently won't agree with my IBS.  Here's hoping my little brother (1ft 1in taller than me) likes the taste.

I really need to find a dairy free version of this recipe, so I can bake one for myself xxx

TOP TIPS -For making a bakewell tart

- Every Celebrity master chef recipe on the Internet, says to Blind bake the tart mmm.......  Ignore them, it bakes just as well with out blind baking.  It justs takes longer. 

- Dont's add the sliced almonds to top the tart, till half way through the cooking time.  Will stop them from burning.

- If the top of the tart is brown's before the end of the cooking time, cover in grease proof paper.  This will stop the top burning and allow the rest of the tart to bake fully.



Baking gift tips

- Buy tinfoil pie tin's or baking tins, when baking for a gift.  The larger tinfoil baking trays can be used to make chocolate brownies or large tray bake cakes.  Makes it easy on yourself and the person your giving the gift too.  You also don't have to worry about getting your baking dish bake, as it's disposable.

- I like to wrap my gifts in grease proof paper and tie up with red ribbon, this makes them look like old fashion pressie's wrapped in Brown paper.  It will also keep your baked gift fresh.

- You can also find paper cake gift boxes, in most supermarkets.  They are cheaper to buy on line though.

- Buy clear cellophane gift bags, for packaging home made cookies and sweets.  Thread a gift tag onto some ribbon and tie around the top of the bag. 

- Make the box or tin part of the gift, by buying a novelty cake tin or cookie tin to place your baked goodies in.  For my birthday a few years ago I was given a home baked decorated cake in a clear topped cake box.  The perfect pressie for a baking addict like me.

- If your buying a cook book as a gift, you could by the ingredients to match a one of the recipe as part of the present.  Give them the ingredients first, then the book xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding