body

Cookers, hula hoops and wacky cake


Wacky apple cake and custard

My brother came round last night with a couple of helpers, my 10yrs old  niece and 3 yrs old nephew. (Between my 2 brothers I have 4 nieces and 2 nephews)  I played with the kids, while he wired up my new cooker.  A brilliant idea on his part, due to my anxiety disorder as the kids are a great distraction.  (Worried my brother was going to electrocute himself)

I had to do a happy dance, after the delivery guys left of course.  Only wish I'd remembered that my neighbours can see in too my kitchen window.....

I was still kind of wired/hyper while I was waiting on my brother.  It's one side effect of my anxiety, which is where the hula hoop came in handy.  I got one from my mum as a thank you for all her baked goodies.  I hula hooped while watching the TV,  to burn off my excess energy. 

I controlled myself and waiting till this morning to bake at 6 am.  First bake in my brand new cooker was an Apple and raisin wacky cake.  I just love the names that Americans give to there cakes.  Wacky cake or depression cake was created some time about the 2nd world war in response to rationing and food shortages.  It's a dairy and egg free cake recipe. 

One of my favourite family traditional lunches is Soup and a Pudding.  My mother and I worked out years ago, that being good and having soup makes having a dessert okay.  On today's menu was Roasted butternut soup and wacky apple cake with dairy free custard.  The ultimate comfort food in my opinion.  I think Iv finally broke my apple cake curse. 

Wacky Cake Recipe

1 & 1/2 cups Flour
1 cup sugar ( or 1/2 for a low sugar version)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup Cold water

Traditionally this cake is made in the same tin it's baked in. I decided to play safe and use a bowl.

Pre-heat oven too 180 Celsius.

Measure out the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl and use a whisk to combine the dry ingredients together.

Made 3 wells in the flour, place the oil, vanilla and vinegar into there own hole.  Then pour over the cold water, and beat till mixture is thoroughly combined.

Pour in to you greased and lined cake tin and bake at 180 Celsius for 30-40 Min's. 

To make this an apple cake, I diced 1 whole apple,  added  with 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg and 1/2 cup raisins to the cake batter. 

It was plate licking good xxx








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding