body

Tortes, cupcakes and savoury tarts



Tomato and Pesto Tart


Was back at the Pantry today, was glad to get back to my normal routine.  Todays dessert was Peach Torte, basically a fancy name for a cake.  Except it uses a lot more sugar, which is probably why it was so popular. At least they got one of there 5 a day....

 Got home and had to bake a batch of ice cream cone cupcakes. My nieces birthday is tomorrow.  It's also the day my brother is un-wiring my cooker, as my new one arrives sometime Friday.  I really don't think things through when I plan!!!! 

(Doesn't matter when they deliver my new cooker, I still need my brother to wire up the new one.)

So after Tortes, Cupcakes came my dinner of Tomato Tart. 

Was in Sainsbury's yesterday for a few Free From Supplies. I found there now stocking Meridian Pesto Wheat Gluten & dairy free, which is reasonably priced at £1.75.  Iv only seen it before at Real foods in Edinburgh and in Holland and barretts. 

I love pesto, but trying to find a dairy free version is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Normally I stir it through cooked pasta for a quick meal.  I also use it when making home made pasta sauce or tomato soup, as it gives a great flavour boost.

Had some Jus Rol puff pastry (dairy free) left from my pie making weekend, so thought why not make a tart.  Rolled out the pastry, then lightly used a sharp knife to score a circle an inch in from the edge. (Tip: I learnt from the Food network channel)  I spread 2 tsp's of Green pesto within the scored circle, then topped with sliced tomato, salt, pepper and finally a little shaved vegan cheese.

Baked it at 200 celsius for 20 minutes, and left it to cool for 10 min's.  Tasty, quick and easy to make. 

I have no idea how Im going to handle going baking cold turkey for 24 hours!!!!!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding