body

I.B.S survival Guide

Iv just spent 7 consecutive nights sleeping in my own bed!!!

For over 2 years now I haven't been able to have a full nights sleep, due to my IBS.  Iv had bouts of insomnia and difficulty sleeping unless sitting upright on my couch.  Giving up foods that contain dairy, yeast, meat, poultry and watching my sugar intake has finally paid off.  So to celebrate I thought it appropriate to share some of my own IBS survival Tips.

PART 1 - ON THE GO - I never leave the house with out....

Bottle of water
Small storage container of Peppermint tea bags
Small storage container with a home baked snack
Packet of tissues
MP3 player
Mobile phone
Brush
Book to read

WHY?

Snack and water - To prevent IBS problems I eat little and often.  When ever I go out  I always bring my own food and drink, as I'm never sure if I'll be able to find some that I'm not intolerant too. Both fluid and food are equally important in stopping stomach spasms.  Iv learnt this the hard way.....

Tea bags - Caffeine is one of my triggers so I always avoid it.  Bringing my own teabags means I know I can share a cuppa with friends and family.  Without them having to go out and buy something they don't drink themselves.  Caffeine's also not great for any one with an anxiety condition. 

Tissues -  Lol, cold air makes my nose run.  There also handy to use as napkins.

MP3 player & mobile phone - Anxiety control techniques.  Mobile phone for emergency's and the MP3 player for when I find myself in stressful situations.  Nothing like the 1812 overture for covering the noise of a busy supermarket or bus

Brush -  I'm a women....

Book - I hate being bored, if I'm waiting for any length of time it gives me something to do and I enjoy it.


FACT: -  Stress can trigger problems.  Keeping myself as stress free as possible helps me control my IBS. 
Iv made myself physically ill before by getting anxious or upset. So looking after your mental health is as inportant as your physical health when dealing with IBS. 

Remember - No two people are alike, so what works for me might not work for you.  It's taken me lots of trial and error to find the best methods for me.  So don't give up if something doesn't work.  Cross it off your list and move on . At least you will know one way or the other.

I'm still not able to sleep the whole night,  but staying in bed is definetly progress.

Here's hoping for another 7 full nights xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding