body

Flavoured yogurt - make your own

Budget baking and cooking tip

Have you noticed in the shops that individual flavoured yogurt pots are more expensive them a whole tub.  If like me you need to buy a dairy free version the price increases further. 

I got so  fed up of having to buy 2 kinds, flavoured for breakfast and Plain for baking that I attempted to make my own,  using a bought pot as a starter.  It was a total disaster, and after a little research I worked out I was just as cheap buying it.  So now I just buy one pot and flavour my own. 

There's a lot you can do with a pot of plain non dairy yogurt.  It only takes a little time to pimp it up, saving you money on your grocery's shopping.



Use small Tupperware boxes to take a portion of yogurt to work. rather than buying separate pots.

My top favourite ways of flavouring yogurt, just mix one of the below into a portion of yogurt.

Sweet

- 1tsp Dairy free lemon curd stirred into yogurt or try your favourite jam
- 1 banana chopped or mashed with 1/4 tsp of mixed spice
- Defrosted frozen soft fruit mixed into you yogurt to flavour. 
- Stewed Apple and 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Stewed Rhubarb and 1/4 tsp mixed spice
- If you prefer smooth yogurt, puree fresh fruit and stir in.

(Iv also found a few recipes on line for dairy free Carmel sauce that's made using yogurt)

Savoury

- Make Mint raita. By adding mint sauce or chopped fresh mint
- Use in place of Soured Cream with Mexican dishes
- Spoon into home made soup to give a creamy texture
- Use in vegetarian curry dishes. 
- Mixed into dairy free mayo to lighten your coleslaw

Why not give it a try, and let me know if you come up with your own combinations.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding