body

My Ugly but tasty pie xxx

HOW NOT TO MAKE PIE!!!

Sunday dinner Veggie Cornish pasty

We all have our cooking kyrptonite, mine has been pastry.  Iv never attempted to make it for years and if I did I'd buy it pre-made.  After getting some pastry making tips at the Pantry last week, i decided to give it another go.  From the above picture you can see it wasn't a total success.....

Making the pastry was the easy part, I made it dairy free by using TREX as a substitute. (Got mine from Asda)  Rubbed it into the flour, then added a little water just to let it bind.  Then wrapped it in a plastic bag and rested it in the fridge for 1 hour.  Was pretty chuffed with myself so I got on with making the filling.   I found the recipe on a great website Vegan Society.

My main problem is that I still haven't mastered the skills to assemble both pastry and filling yet.  My first mistake was attempting to use a betterware pie making aid.  The next was placing warm filling on my lovely chilled pastry.  A quick scrape down and trip to the fridge and everything was all right again. 

Decided to go old school for my second attempt and waited till the filling had cooled. Rolled out my pastry, placed the filling on one half and folded over.  I used water to seal the edges.  My next problem came from an unexpected source, my finger nails.  Iv discovered crimping a pie is not a good idea with long nails, they just pierce the pastry.  Which resulted in a VERY rustic looking pie.

Chilled it again in the fridge and baked in the oven for 30 Min's, then served with vegetable gravy and my mums homemade beetroot chutney.   Looked ugly, but tasted good.  Far better attempt than my Frankenstein effort last week.  Would have been too dry without the gravy, so next time I'm going to make a thick gravy with the filling. 


Who know's maybe after a few more attempts I might actually make something that both tastes and looks good xxxx

What's your baking kyrptonite?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding