body

Loaf cake and great memories

Chai Tea loaf with raisins and diced Apples

There are always a few childhood memories that stand out, one for me is tea loaf cake.  As a child growing up in Aberdeen I used to go with my granny to the church.  I must admit food was my main motivation.  She would make me soft boiled eggs, which were a great treat.  Then there was the 'Fly cup' after the church service in the hall next door.  A Fly cup or fly cup of tea, was Aberdonian for morning or afternoon tea break. 

When i think of the church, I immediately remember the buttered tea fruit loaf.  To this day it's still one of my favourite snacks. Even better it's Dairy free.  I used to buy it until I found a great recipe for making it myself and Iv never stopped.  While I have no problem experimenting with recipes, it's taken me a while to get creative with this one.  I mean how can you make it taste any better? 

My first effort was my chai tea loaf recipe.  As Iv mentioned in the past I don't handle boredom very well, so I very rarely repeat a recipe with in the same month of the year.  Even taste bud's get bored....

So after my smiddy cake adventure I was craving my tea loaf. The Smiddy cake had smelt great but due to the butter i couldn't even taste it!!!  I didn't want to make my tea loaf the same way again as Iv just not long baked one.  I had Apples in my Fruit bowl so i peeled and diced one, then folded it into the cake batter along with the raisins.  The apples make the tea loaf more moist and go great with the chai spices xx


Todays Top baking tip.  - Don't be put off by ingredients in recipes. 

Try substituting an alternate ingredient you do like or have on hand.

-  If you don't like dried fruit, try adding chopped fresh fruit instead.  Apples work great.

- Don't like spices, then don't add them.  Season to your taste.

- I don't like sweet cakes and cookies so I always reduce the sugar by half. 

- Run out of eggs, try adding a mashed banana instead.

Remember home baking is about what you like, so get creative xxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding