body

Afternoon Tea at the Library

Afternoon Book club

What better way to spend an afternoon, than enjoying tea and talking about books we've read.  This months book was Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's recently been adapting into a film starring Keira Knightly.  The book posses questions on the ethics of cloning and donating organs.  Wasn't really a fan of this one. What was the point?  Scientists have found a way to clone individual organs without the need to clone an entire human being.  Lol, books like this always spark a good healthy debate. 

I'm in both the afternoon and evening reading group at my local library.  I love to bake for each group, its great having a cuppa tea or coffee and a home baked treat with friends.  This time I made Glazed lemon and poppy seed fairy cakes.

I used my Lemon Soda Loaf cake recipe as the base.  Then folded 2 oz of poppy seeds into the cake batter , before spooning into fairy cake cases.  They only need 12-15 Min's to bake.  The guys were pleasantly surprised at how good they tasted, especially after they found out they were dairy and egg free.

I'd make these at the weekend and frozen them. Then defrosted them overnight, so i could put the glaze on this morning.

TOP TIP.  Freezing baked cakes and cookies

- Never glaze or frost your cakes if you plan to freeze them.  I forget one time and ended up with a soggy cake. 

- Always let them go totally cold  before preparing to freeze.  Especially if using plastic freezer containers or bags.  Otherwise condensation will develop and make your cakes soggy when you defrost them. It's also for Food health and safety reasons.  (Having a mental block and can't remember why!!!)

- If moisture does develop as you defrost them, then just remove the lid of the box and wipe it away with a clean dish towel. If necessary remove the cakes and biscuits and place in another box. 

- Greaseproof paper is a great way to protect baked goods in the freezer.  I use it on my Loaf cakes, before placing in a freezer bag.  Just wrap them as you would a pressie and seal with sellotape.

- Greaseproof paper is also good for separating layers of cakes or cookies before freezing them.  That way you can easily defrost the quantity you need.  Nothing worse than trying cakes or cookies that are frozen together. Clingfilm would work just as well. 

- You can keep baked good's in the freezer for 4 - 6 months.  I prefer to use mine with in 3 months.  I know it sounds strange but Iv seen some foods get freezer burn!!!


Since I need to make all my own cakes and cookie for snacks, I like to have a variety in the freezer to choose from.  Even a great cake is going to get boring once you've had it 5 days in a row xxx


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding