body

Baking Experiments at 6 am

After finally being able to sleep in my own bed for 7 nights in a row, I ended up back on the couch last night because of a horrid head cold.  Sod's Law.....

So what else do you do in the morning when your feeling lousy?  Make Spiced tomato soup cake of course!!!!

Iv been wanting to try this recipe for a while and today seemed like the perfect time. 

Sharebell's thought process explained:  Head cold - comfort food - soup - tomato soup cake. 

Technically i used tomato Pasata instead of tomato soup.  Iv yet to find one that doesn't contain additives, that trigger my IBS.   Pasata is basically sieved tomato's, I use it a lot as a base for home made soups and pasta sauces.    Never baked with it before,  Iv already used Beetroot puree and pumpkin to bake cakes.  Tomato just didn't seem that out there to me. And it gave me a chance to try out my new toy.



Along with the tomato pasata, there is some cinnamon, vanilla extract, nutmeg and cocoa powder.  They rose really well and had a great crumb.  I'll never doubt the Barefoot contessa's advice again.  An Ice cream scoop is a great way of scooping batter into cup cake cases.

The first couple of bites where great, then I was hit by the Apple Cider vinegar.  I knew I should have followed my instincts.  3 tablespoons seemed an awful lot to add to a cake recipe. .  Getting a great texture in a dairy and egg free cake is hard but the tomato really works.   With a few tweaks this could be a great recipe. I plan to decrease the cider vinegar and up the spice next time. 

I am kind of obsessed with adding fruit and especially veg to my cakes these days.  But I just like to take this opportunity to mention to the Allan family, that I will refrain from adding them to the cup cakes I plan to make for there Halloween party......

You will just have to worry about all the other days in the year xxx

Hopefully after a few tweaks I'll be able to post the recipe. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding