body

Budget cooking and Dairy Free tomato soup


Creamy tomato Soup
 In the kitchen today.....

The Pantry canteen is shut over the weekend,  so perishible food stuff's have to be binned.  I hate any food going to waste so when I found a lot of sliced tomato's where going out,  I decided to liberate them. (With permission off course)

One of my main principles when I'm budget cooking, is to waste less food.  It's better for the environment and it's better for my bank account.  I had one lonely carrot left in the fridge and  plenty store cupboard ingredients. From this I was able to rustle  up a tasty pot of Tomato soup

Waste less food soup

Fresh Tomatos - chopped
1 carrot - chopped
A handful of red lentils
300 ml Vegetable stock - yeast free
tomato puree
salt and pepper


I cooked the chopped tomato's and Carrot in a pan for 5 -10 mins before adding the lentils.  I continued cooking these for another 1-2 mins, before adding the seasoning and vegetable stock.

Then Brought the soup up to a boil, and simmered for 20 mins.  I finally blitzed the soup with my hand blender till it was nice and smooth.  Then seasoned once more to my taste.

The lentils and carrot thicken the soup, while the tomato's give it the flavour. Because the red lentils are well red you don't even noticed them in the soup.

The soup tasted lovely and creamy, even though there was no dairy in it. I think this is because  the hand blender creates a frothy latte effect. 

TOP TIP's:

This is a great way of using up tomato's that are going soft.
 
A Tin of chopped tomato's would work just as well in this soup.

If you don't have tomato puree, try a tablespoon of Tomato Ketchup instead.

Since I can't eat any foods that contain yeast, I use crumpled up corn tortilla chips as croutons for my soup.

Don't through out your veg, freeze it.  Chopping any left over veg you have,  keeping this in the freezer means you always have a supply to make a quick soup.  Or veggies to add to a stew or curry. 

Serendipity - some times the best meals we cook are due to a happy accident xxxx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding