body

Old School sponge pudding recipe

Another day at the Pantry today.  We needed to make a quick dessert, so what else do we do but pick one we've never made before!!!!

The Pantry has a library of traditional cake and pudding recipes, we decided to make Peach Sponge Pudding.  It's basically the same as Eve's pudding, except the apples are swapped out for tinned peaches. 

Today I learnt that Traditional = small portions.  I'd doubled the recipe, but it still wasn't enough.  We had to turn round another batter quick so it had enough time to cook in the oven for lunch.  We needed to up the recipe by x  6 to make enough.  It was worth it in the end, the dessert was a hit. 

I've surfed the net looking for a similar recipe and this one is the closest I could find.  Eve's Pudding.  Being an old fashion thrifty pudding it uses less eggs than a normal sponge pudding, which makes it easy to adapt to a dairy free version.  To make it Egg free just use an egg substitute instead.  The version we made today was full dairy, which meant I couldn't eat any.  Normally I don't mind. but it looked and smelt great when it came out of the oven.  Will definetly be making my own dairy free version.


To make a Peach Sponge pudding, arrange 1 tin of Peaches and a few table of the syrup in the base of a baking dish.  Top with the cake batter, the syrup will soak into the pudding while it bakes. 

I personally love tinned Peaches, there a great store cupboard ingredient.  I cut them up to mix through my muesli with yogurt. There also great with hot custard poured over them, it brings back great childhood memories.  Sometimes the simplest treats are the best xxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding