body

~Sharabelles Vietnamese Pho recipe

Rain again.....

Typical Scottish weather today, sunny one minute and torrential downpour the next.  So I still can't understand why people go out with out a jacket or brolly!!!  I know us Scot's are a hardy bunch....  as native Aberdonian I know all about being hardy, but even I still don't go out without a jacket.   Either there a lot of people who have no common sense or am turning into my grandmother........ 

Back to the point, had another great day at the pantry today.  Helped make a Lemon Meringue tart from Scratch.  More importantly I now know why my first attempt at  making pastry for a veggie pie, looked like it had been made by Frankenstein's monster.

The heavens decided to open, just before I left to catch my bus home.  By the time I got there I needed something hot and spicy to warm me up.  This is my adaptation of Vietnamese Pho recipe.  Great for warming the bones after being battling the rain.

Veggie Vietnamese Pho - Makes meal for 2

For the Broth
4 cups of stock
1 tsp Ginger ( ground or fresh)
1 star Anise
2 tsp Soy sauce
Chili to taste (ground or fresh)
3 cm piece Cinnamon stick
2 Cloves
1 tsp chopped garlic

5 large Mushrooms - chopped
2 - 3 Spring onions - chopped
Noodles

- Use 4 cups of boiling water to make up a veg stock in a medium size pot.
(I use Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon which is Gluten and yeast free)

- Add what ever spices you have available, fresh  or ground.
(Don't stress if you don't have them all, it will still taste good)

- Add in Soy sauce and garlic, stir and bring up to a boil.

- Then Simmer for 20 Min's, and strain the broth into a jug.  This is the safest way to take out the whole spices.  I had a blonde moment, that's the only excuse Iv got for trying it any other way

- Pour Broth back into the pot and add mushroom and chopped spring onions, simmer again for 10 Min's.

- Taste the stock to check for seasoning and add more soy sauce if required. 

- Finally add noodles and cook in the broth as per packet instructions. 

- Serve up in a large soup bowl. 



Top Tip: Chopped Frozen Chili, ginger and Garlic can now be found in most supermarkets freezer sections.  As good as fresh, always on hand and wont go off. 

I always make this broth for two portions, that way I can freeze half the broth for a quick meal another day.  My own version of pot noodle xxxx







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding