body

Sharabelle and the Smiddy cake's......



At the Pantry today I was introduced to the Smiddy Cake,  a traditional Fife recipe that Iv never heard off. Maybe you have to be born in Fife to know about it.  I had to google it when I got home, to see if I could find the history and a copy of the recipe.   I could have gotten a copy of the recipe from the kitchen, but it's for making 10 loaf cakes.  Baking in large quantities is a really novel experienceAlso arm aching.

The only history I could find was that a Smiddy was a blacksmith....... Any way Luckily the Fearnan Village Association have a similar recipe that only makes 1  x 2lb loaf cake Smiddy cake  .  To make it a traditional Fife version just add 1 large grated carrot too the water mix that's boiled in the pot. 

A smiddy cake is basically a Dairy free boiled fruit cake crossed with a carrot cake.  And after grating 10 carrots to make 10 loaf cakes I won't forget that part of the recipe.   I had the task of measuring out and prepping the ingredients.  I'm not really used to measuring out ingrediants over 1 lb, which was made obvious when I mis- read the recipe and only put 7.5 oz of fruit in the pot instead of 7.5 lb's. 

From personal experience, I can confirm that the recipe turns out ok If you forget to boil the fruit and add it in with the flour.  No one noticed the difference. 

The great thing about this recipe is it's dairy free.  You could also make it egg free by using a substitute.  A great recipe that both Dairy and non dairy eaters can enjoy together xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding