body

Dairy free Quiche Recipe

Mixed pepper and mushroom DF Quiche

It's not pretty but it was pretty tasty.  

 I know most of my recipes don't use egg's, but when your limited to eating veg, fish and egg's I'd rather they took the starring role in a recipe.  I also prefer to use local free range eggs. This is more for the idea of well cared for Chickens, the fact they taste better is just a bonus. 

(Iv always bought  free range eggs, I watched a  Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall program a few years ago showing battery hen living conditions.  It just re-enforced the reason why I do)

Since I'm becoming more confident with making short crust pastry, i decided to have a go making a dairy free Quiche.  In an attempt to keep my meals interesting, Iv started to do a lot more savoury baking.  What better than Dairy free Quiche. 

I don't have a pie plate, so I used the top lid of my Pyrex casserole dish.  Sometimes you've just got to improvise.  I oiled my Pyrex pie lid, and gently placed the rolled out pastry in it.  It then went in to the fridge to firm up, so all I needed to do later was make the filling.  Lol I'm the first to admit it looks really rustic, but once it was baked it tasted great.  And I have a better idea of how to make one next time.


Dairy free Quiche

Pastry
4 oz Flour
2 oz of Vegetable shortening ( I use TREX)
Pinch of salt and cold water

Either combine the shortening by rubbing it in to the flour or Mash in with a fork. Once it resembles rough breadcrumbs, slowly add in cold water to form a soft dough. 

Once mixed place on a  floured surface and knead till smooth.  Then role out till it fits the size of your pie plate/tin/casserole lid etc.  I sat my baking dish over the pastry and made sure there was enough overhang to form the sides of the quiche. 

Gently place into your baking dish and prick the base with a fork.  ( I'm not also aware,  that the excess pastry really needs to be cut off)

Place in fridge for at least 30 Min's, or till your ready to make the filling. 

Filling -Depends on the size of your baking dish

Pre-heat Oven too 180 Celsius

small dish.                                                 Large dish
2 eggs                                                          3 eggs
1/2 cup Soya milk                                        3/4 cup soya milk
2 tsp Dairy free Cheese flavour sauce mix     3 tsp DF cheese flavour Sauce mix
Salt and pepper to taste
A little nutmeg

1 1/2 cups vegetables chopped                     2 cups vegetables chopped

I chose mixed peppers and mushrooms.

Soften your vegetables in a pan with a little oil.  Once soft leave to cool.

Add eggs, soya milk Dairy free cheese flavour sauce mix and seasoning.  Beat well for a few minutes.

Take Pastry case from the fridge and evenly place in the cooled vegetables.  Then pour egg mix over the top.  Place in oven and bake at 180oc for 10 Min's then turn the oven down too 160oc and bake for a further 35 - 40 Min's. 

Leave in the baking dish for 15 - 20 Min's to allow the quiche to set. 

This is one of my favourite ingredients, its Dairy free, gluten free, wheat free, GM free and yeast free.  A lot of vegan cheese alternatives have yeast extract or nutritional yeast added so I can't use them.  If you can't find use corn flour instead.

TOP TIP:  One of the benefits of using a Pyrex glass baking dish, is that you can take a look at the bottom of your quiche to ensure the pastry is thoroughly cooked xxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding