body

Why buy soup, when you can make your own?

Sunny roast carrot soup

The sun might be shining but its freezing cold outside.  On days like these I always crave a warm bowl of soup to heat myself up.  Today's soup of the day was creamy roast carrot,  proving you don't need to add dairy to create a smooth creamy texture. 

I never plan what I'm going to cook when I go shopping,  I like to check out what veg looks the best.  Morrison's had a great deal on pre-packed carrots this week, only 50p for 1 kg.  After my success last week of adding roasted mixed veg to my tomato soup, I decided to do the same with the carrots.

Roasting root vegetables just intensifies the flavour, making the finished soup even tastier.   I left the skin on the carrots and chopped them into roughly even sized pieces.  Then Tossed them in a little oil with salt and pepper, before roasting in the oven for 30 Min's.

I tipped them into a cooking pot and added enough vegetable stock to cover the carrots. Then simmered the soup till the carrots where soft enough to be puree with my handy hand blender.  I added a bit more water, to thin it out a bit (Was looking like baby food!)

 Since the carrots where roasted with salt and pepper and there were seasonings in the stock cube, I didn't add any more more.  I did add a little dried corriander basically because I was in the mood for it.  

Vegetable
Carrots - 50p

Seasoning
Salt and pepper - cheap
1 Lactose free Vegetable stock cubes  - £1.05 for pack of six
 (or in this case 25p because the packaging was bashed)
1/2 tsp dried corriander - 68p per jar

Other
Hot water - Paid for by my water rates

Don't want to eat the same soup all week, just freeze the other portions so you can switch them up and keep your taste buds interested.   

Soup is a great simple recipe, that even the most basic cooks and beginners can make.  I made 3 portions for less than it costs to buy one can of soup.  So why buy when you can make your own xxx










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding