body

2 ways with Tinned tomatoes


Iv recently re-discovered a vegetarian blog, that I really love.  Bizarrely it was while looking for sites on the 5:2 fast diet for my mum.    Tinned Tomatoes , what better than a blog named after one of my favourite cooking ingredients. 

Tinned tomatoes are something that's always on my shopping list,   It's such a versatile ingredient.  So far this week, Iv used it as a base for a tomato and roast veg soup and a smoked paprika bean stew.  Found this one on the honest cooking blog, its a great base recipe.  The only variations I made was to add sliced mushrooms and 1 tbsp of Tomato sauce, to make it more of a meal than a side dish.  Ate mine with some homemade tortilla chips, to scoop up the beans. 


I got my inspiration for the soup from the Barefoot Contessa herself, Ina Garten.  I'd never though of using left over roast vegetables to make a soup.  Or in my case I roasted some veg that was on the way to turning to soft.   I'm still keeping to my no food waste new years resolution, so rather than throw them out I decided to make a soup. 

Tomato Roast Veg Soup

1 Tin of chopped tomatoes
500 ml Veggie stock
2 large Carrots
2 large Parsnips
1 tsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper
1 tbsp veg oil

More a guide line than a recipe.

 Roast up some veg that's going soft.  Cut off the worsts parts first, then chop into chunks.  The smaller the pieces the quicker they cook.  Place in a bowl and toss with the oil, salt, pepper and smoked paprika.   The pour into a roasting tin and bake in the oven ( 20 - 40 mins depending on size)

Once cooked place in a pan with the veggie stock and the tin of tomatoes, then puree with a hand blender.  Add more stock if you want a thinner soup.  Cook together for another 20 Min's and season to your own  taste. 

Great served with a slice of homemade soda bread xxx

.........Mouse news update.........

This may be disturbing to some readers,  as I didn't use a humane mouse trap due to lack of resources.  Basically I bought, what was available.

Discovered a dead mouse in one of the traps this morning, before leaving for work.  Had first checked when Id gotten up, but the little blighter must have snuck in while I was in the shower.  

The mouse had been lucky the previous day, as it managed to eat all the peanut butter with out setting off the trap.  It wasn't so lucky the second time. 

Traps remain armed with peanut butter and set, in case there are any more intruders to my kitchen. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding