body

Thank Banana's its Friday....

Wholemeal Banana Soda bread

This weeks "Thank Banana its Friday" recipe is for a healthy wholemeal banana soda bread.  It's bit of a mouth full to say!!!!  Greed was my main motivation for creating this recipe.  I just kept dreaming of  peanut butter spread over warm toasted banana bread mmmmm. 

It was so good I had it for lunch, whats not to like.

 1. It counted towards one of my 5 a day fruit & veg. 
 2. The peanut butter is full of protein 
 3. The wholemeal is a heart healthy grain.  

I went one step further and covered the top with sliced banana's mmm.  I had planned to take a picture, but I really couldn't wait to eat it.

I've made Banana Scones in the past, so I knew the recipe should work when converted to a wholemeal soda bread.  I made it totally dairy and egg free, and to give it a lighter crumb I used 1/2 wholemeal 1/2 plain white flour.  You could make it will 100% wholemeal or 100% plain flour, it just depends on your individual taste.   That's what home baking is all about, making something that's perfect just for you.

Vegan Banana Wholemeal Soda Bread

150 g/ 5 oz wholemeal flour
150 g/ 5 oz Plain white flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda

2 Ripe Banana's - mashed
4 tbsp Soya yogurt
Soya milk

- Pre-heat oven too 200 Celsius, grease and line a loaf tin.

- Add mashed banana and soya yogurt to a jug and mix.
- Top up with enough soya milk to measure 200 ml and whisk together.
- Weight out flour and add salt along with the bicarbonate of soda. 
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour wet ingredients into the bowl
- Use a knife to combine them together, then switch too your hands to form a wet dough
- Transfer to the loaf pan and level off
- Place in oven and bake for 40 - 50 Min's, check with a toothpick or skewer to see if the centre is baked.
- Cool in the loaf tin for 10 Min's then move to a wire cooling rack. 

You need to leave the bread to cool before slicing into it or it will crumble.  Then enjoy xxx















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding