body

Broccoli two ways...

Broccoli two ways


Treated myself to some fresh broccoli when I was shopping at the weekend.  It's one of those foods that I can only eat once in a while, or else it tends to set off my IBS.   So when I do buy some I like to make it the main ingredient of the meal.

I'm lactose intolerant, so here's two ways to cook broccoli dairy free, egg free and totally vegan. 

First way


Iv made roasted cauliflower before, so why not broccoli.  Roasting veggies is a great way  of making sure they don't end up too soft or soggy, which can happen if you boil them instead. 

I Cooked some Chinese noodles and tossed the roasted broccoli through them, with some split almonds and lemon juice. 

I would never have thought that lemon would work with broccoli but it does.  Which led me to my next recipe....

Second way

I cut the broccoli head in two and roasted one half,  I really wanted to do something different with the rest.  It's hard to find dairy free pesto unless you go to a speciality shop, so I now make my own. 

Broccoli pesto recipe

1/2 head of broccoli or 2 cups of chopped broccoli
Handful of chopped almonds
2 tbsp Vegetable oil
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
Boiling water

Blanch the broccoli  by placing it into a bowl and pour enough boiling water too cover.  Leave for 30 Min's.

Drain the broccoli, but keep some of the water for later.  Then transfer to a food processor and add the oil, almonds and lemon juice. 

Pulse till broken down then add salt and pepper to taste.   Add some of the reserved water to the loosen the mixture.  Or add some more oil till your happy with the consistency. 

Cool to room temp and keep in the fridge.  It's not a traditional pesto, so don't totally drain your pasta.  The starch water from the pasta will help the broccoli mix cover the pasta. 

Enjoy xxx





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding