body

Shrove tuesday - Pancake day






Another first for me today, we made crepes at the Pantry to celebrate Shrove Tuesday. I usually stick to making scotch pancakes, as crepes have always looked really difficult.  Once you've seen some one make them and get the basics down, there really easy to do.  So that add's another skill to my  cooking repertoire.

Since I'm lactose intolerant, there was no way I could taste test the pancakes.  I'm getting used to it though, it doesn't really bother me as much as it did.  It was just great to see other people enjoying something I'd made. 

So to celebrate Pancake day in style, Iv found a few dairy free and egg free recipes on the internet.





If you just want to make a dairy free pancake, try the one from late Grandma's cook book.  It's never failed me yet, just substitute your favourite dairy free milk. 

Grandma's A good Housekeeping cookery compendium. compiled by The Good Housekeeping Institute 1958 edition

Scotch pancakes

8 oz Flour
1 level tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1 level tsp cream of tartar   (Or use 2 tsp of baking powder instead)
1-3 oz Sugar - depends on your personal taste
2 eggs
1/2 pint milk

Sieve the flour and raising agents, add sugar, mix with eggs and milk to make a fairly thick batter. 
 (To make a crepe, add more milk till the batter is the same constitency as single cream)

Place spoonfuls of the mixture on the hot greased girdle (frying fan, don't think many people have girdle these days) keep at a steady heat, and turn pancakes over when the bubbles burst. 

Cook till golden on both sides and keep them in a cloth to prevent them becoming dry and crisp.  Serve with butter and jam.


I love retro cook books xxxx 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding