body

Carrot Cake - Take 2

Vegan Carrot Cake

My mission today was to bake a carrot cake for the guys at the Pantry.  One of whom hates dried fruit and really doesn't like cinnamon, 2 ingredients I always add.  I like a challenge, especially when it involves changing recipes to suit other peoples tastes. 

Made my first attempt this morning, left out the raisins and replaced the cinnamon for mixed spice in the cake batter.  Had an unexpected problem though, I forgot I haven't baked this recipe since I got my new oven.  With my last oven I knew down too the minute how long to leave a cake in, however this one is fan assisted and I'm still trying to work out the times. 

When baking vegan cakes, it never a good idea to open the oven door too soon.  The result is always a sunken cake, with a soggy bottom.  I did try to fix the problem by putting it back in the oven, as I hate wasting any food. There was no saving this cake though.  After a taste test I realised I'd added way to much mixed spice.  It tasted more like a curried carrot cake.

I hate being beaten, so decided to have another go.  This time though I went for cupcakes rather than a whole cake and only added 1/2 tsp of the mixed spice.  I made darn sure I didn't open the oven door too soon, thankfully these ones haven't sunk. 

It's ironic really, I was never a fussy eater.  All the foods I avoid, or eat in small quantity's are due to my IBS and my food intolerance's.  I just find it really strange that there are people that won't eat foods that I'd love to be able to have again!!!

That's life xxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding