body

Recipe testing - Lentil Stew

Indian food is well know for it's great vegetarian food.  I started to wonder if other cultures had a similar history, so did a little Internet surfing yesterday.  I found a great site called  International Vegetarian Union, which has a large database of recipes.

Over the past 6 months of eating meat free, iv re-discovered recipes i used to enjoy.  Iv also gone through a phase of making veggie food replacement's to meat, like bean burgers.   Iv found great food doesn't need to have meat as a protein.  I can still eat fish and eggs, but I only have these occasionally. 

There's a tendency when you have IBS to eat one type of food regularly because you know it's safe.  What can happen is you end up building up an intolerance to it instead.  I excluded milk products form my diet for 6 months, after I was diagnosed with IBS.  I was able to eat it occasionally in small amounts with out setting off my symptoms for over 10 years.  It was only last year that I finally become totally dairy free.    So I know from personal experience it's better to switch up your meals.


One way of doing this is to take an edible trip round the world.  For today's lunch I made  Ethiopian Spicy tomato Lentil stew.  I found the recipe on the PPK (Post Punk Kitchen) Internet site.  I admit to cheating a bit by using a Garam Masala mix instead of blending my own spices.  I also used a tin of chopped tomato's, instead of fresh and a tin of brown lentil instead of cooking dried ones. 

Still enjoyed, tasted pretty good even with the shortcuts.  So I can only imagine it tastes even better totally made from scratch.    

Today's dinner comes from the global world of my imagination, lol.  I'm plan to make beetroot Bulgar wheat pilaf xx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding