body

How to avoid food waste


Wasted food

  Half of all food goes to waste

I don't normally buy a newspaper, however I won't turn my nose up at a copy of the Free Metro.  Forget that it's free, it's also very well written.  Yesterdays headline was pretty shocking, globally 2 bn tonnes of food goes to waste!!!! 

Problems of starvation, poverty and the credit crunch are all great reasons to avoid wasting food.  When you put food in the bin, your really throwing away money. 

One of my pet hates is wasted food.   If I accidently buy something I can't eat because of my food intolerances, I give it to someone that can.   Living on a budget means I  watch the pennies, so I avoid wasting food when ever possible.  Here are some of the Tricks and tips I use to save money and avoid food waste. 


First way to avoid food waste - Check the label

I always check the label when  I buy something,  for the - use by or - best before date.  Shops want the products with the closest date sold first so there placed at the front of the shelf.  Dig to the back. 

Check out the FSA UK web site for there guidelines

USE BY - For foods that go off quickly so could become a health risk

BEST BEFORE - Regards quality, the item will taste better before the date but can still be eaten a few days after.

DISPLAY UNTIL/SELL BY - Are instructions for the shop staff only, always go by the Use by or best before date.


Second way to avoid  food waste - Buy one get one free offers

If you've check the label and are happy with the date, are you really going to be able to use it all in time.  If not can It be frozen or cooked then frozen so you can get the benefit of the offer.  I like to buy mixed peppers when there on offer and roast them in the oven, so I can freeze them for using later. 

TIP - Shop with a family member or friend and split the cost.  If you buy one offer, let them buy another and swap the extra pack's.


Third way to avoid food waste - Bulk cooking

Best thing about having a food intolerance, making my own frozen convience food.  There great if Im pushed for time or Im having one of my bad days.  When I made my oven baked rice dish on Wednesday, I made the whole recipe.  When I was serving it up, I split it into 4 between my dinner plate and 3 freezer containers. 

As long as you leave the food to cool to room tempreture before freezing it's perfectly safe.

TIP - If you find a marked down item because it's near it's best before date, buy it and freeze it. Or cook it and freeze it the same day you bought it. 

TIP - Freeze food into portions, that way you only use what you need. 


Fourth way to avoid food waste - Love your leftovers

Check the food in your fridge, leftovers can be made into another meal instead of binned.  If you've just made it fresh, cool it and freeze it for another day.  If you have any left over cooked or fresh veg turn it into soup.

Check the label, on pre-packed items to see if it can be frozen. That includes Cheese and butter.  I buy full dairy products, when Im baking or cooking for friends and family.  If I can't eat it myself, I see if it can be frozen.  I have both cheese and milk in my freezer at the moment, perfect emergency supply if my mum comes to visit. 

TIP - Banana' s over ripe - freeze them in there skins.  Apples going soft, use them to make an apple sauce or puree before freezing.  Or make your self a fruit crumble. 


Fifth way to avoid food waste - Use a shopping list

I admit even I find this one difficult, as I don't really plan any meals till I see which fresh veg looks good that day.  I still make a list for all my non perishable shopping and try to stick to it. 

TIP - I always double check my fridge and cupboards while Im making my list to make sure Im not buying something I don't need.  Though I do think you can't really have to many tins of chopped tomato's....


These are only the ways I avoid wasting food, there are plenty more out there.  Helping the environment also helps your bank account. 

Why throw money in the bin, when you could be spending it on yourself instead xxxx 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding