body

Vegan Stovies

Baked Vegan Stovies

I made the Healthy start vegetarian Stovies recipe yesterday.  Traditionally stovies are boiled potato's mixed with onions and leftover cooked meat.  In reality it's more often browned mince or cubed tinned Corned beef, that is mixed through the boiled mashed potato's.  

Making a vegetarian version is kind of difficult.  Mixing various veggies through mashed potato's just isn't the same.  So I can understand why they came up with this method,  however It reminds me more of a vegetable gratin rather than Stovies.  Either way it's easy to make and tasty, so I can't really complain.

The healthy start recipe cooks the veggies on the stove top, I decided to bake mine in the oven instead.  I used chopped onion and thinly sliced parsnip,  carrots and  turnip, which I layered in the casserole dish.  I seasoned the middle with black pepper and salt, and sprinkled the onions in  every other layer.  Finally I poured the stock over, before placing in the oven to bake.

It took an hour at 200 Celsius to cook in my oven. The veg still had a bite to them, just the way I like.  If I make this again (which I probably will) I'd take the lid off the casserole dish 20 Min's before the end of the cooking time, so it can get brown on top. 

I enjoyed it so much, I had some more for lunch today. I also had some of my home made soda bread with it to soak up the broth.

Even if your not vegetarian or vegan, this would make a great side dish for a main meal.  I definitely recommend giving this recipe a go xxxx









Comments

  1. Honey, your grammar needs help. So many mistakes! I'm embarassed for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding