body

A year living with IBS & mental health problems


 YEAR END REVIEW
2012
 Living with IBS and mental health problems


End of 2010 I had to admit I was getting worse again and take the decision to stop work.  My new goal was to work on facing my mental health problems and finally doing something about it.   Previously Id only really put a sticky plaster on the problem and pretended everything was OK. 

Along with my on-going mental health problems, I also have IBS.  I'd had digestive problems as a teenager, but the problem really got worse after I picked up the e-coli food poisoning bug.  As I get older my IBS gets worse, I'm now dairy free, yeast free, meat & poultry free and also follow a low sugar and low fat diet. 

Iv found that people seem to have the impression that people living on benefits don't actually do anything.  That they do nothing to help themselves,  so to dispel this myth I got out last years calender so you could see what I did and accomplished in 2012.......



JAN

-  At the end of 2011, I had started....

- Volunteering on a Tues at the local Credit Union Nov 2011.
-  Going to the Physio clinic for my IBS
-  Referred too Art therapy group by my OT
- Excluded Dairy from my diet to see if it improved my IBS ( It did)


FEB

 - Started volunteering at the Express group on Wednesdays

MAR

 - Continued both volunteering jobs and the art group  (Loved the art group, got back my creative groove)

APR

Job Centre referred me to SAMH - Scottish Association of Metal health.

MAY

- Started the Tools for living course at SAMH
- 12 week Art Therapy group finished
- Joined the new library afternoon book club, also continued going to the evening book club group.
(I'd re-joined the local library Evening book club early 2011, one of my first steps back to being social again)

JUNE

 - Had to give up volunteering at the credit union, I was doing to much again. The depression and mood swings had kicked in again

JULY

- Birthday month, scheduled a holiday.  Planned a week with no Volunteering and DR + Physio appointments
- IBS problems continued, finally accepted I would also need to exclude Meat and poultry from my diet.

AUG

 - Visited SAMH Pantry for the first time, started supported work experience 1 day a week

(Working at the Pantry has given me a new enthusiasm for live)

SEPT  - New weekly Schedule

- MON   Tools for living course SAMH
- WED    Volunteering at the Express group
- THUR  Work experience at SAMH Pantry

Once a month on a Tues - Evening Book club
Once a month on a wed - Afternoon book club
Rest of month taken up with Job Centre working links appointment and Doctor appointments

OCT 

- Completed the tools for living course
- Finished volunteering at the Express group to allow me to...
- move up too 2 full days work experience at SAMH Pantry
(Credit union volunteering - 2 hrs a week, Express group volunteering 3 hrs a week. A big step forward to my goal of returning to paid work)

NOV

- New cooker - another step forward.  I find it hard to spend money on myself.  Due to my anxiety disorder I also find it hard to have total stranger in my house, even if they are delivering something. 

DEC

I get really depressed during winter and especially over Christmas.  Put plans in place to cope....

 - After a year of saving, booked a winter sun holiday too Costa Teguise for 2nd wk in Dec
- Spent Christmas day at home myself, first year the family really understood it was the only way I could cope.  
- Worked during the Factory's Christmas lunch at SAMH Pantry.  Found it really difficult, but I kept going and stayed till the end. 


Jan 2013 - where I'm I now.......

IBS - It's not going to get better but Iv finally able to manage it.  IV even found a few places I can eat out and been on a self catering holiday. 

Anxiety Disorder - Through the support of friends, family and my Doctor am coping.  I'm  hoping that by DEC 2013, I will finally be able to return to paid work. 

The only way of really dealing with IBS or a mental health problem is too start by asking for help, and learning to help yourself. 

Here's wishing you all a Happy healthy New Yearxxxxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding