body

Cook book review



Just got to say, Iv got a great local library.  The staff are brilliant and really helpful.   When I asked if they could request some vegan cookbooks for me, they checked there database and ordered a few different books in for me.  

Healing foods cookbook - The vegan way to wellness is not really what I was looking for.  The blurb looks great, especially for someone with my type of IBS, but the content doesn't really match up. 

Maybe iv just  been really lucky too find some great recipes on the Internet but the recipes where a bit simple and not really inspiring.  The book would be perfect for beginner cooks though.

Check out amazon for more reviews. 

I did find one recipe that I wanted to give a try - Currant and Raisin Squares. If you've read my blog before you won't be surprised I changed a couple of things.  I think you should always gear a recipe toward your own taste buds.

I love raisins and don't really like Currants, so made Raisin squares instead.  The recipe also doesn't use any sugar, relying on the dried fruit for the sweetness.  I added 1tbsp golden syrup because for me you can't really make a flapjack with out it. 

I soaked the raisins in boiled water, to let them soften before blitzing them in my blender.  Makes the task a lot easier.  Taste tested a piece at lunchtime and I was impressed.  I didn't think the recipe would really work with out sugar, but it does.  Really tasty and filling a perfect snack food for when I'm out and about.   Would also be great as a breakfast bar.

TIP:  If you have IBS never assume your going to be able to find something you can eat.  Always take a backup snack. 

.

Here's my version

Raisin Flapjacks  - 12 small pieces or 6 large

1 cup - Porridge Oats
1 cup - whole wheat flour - (use white if following a low Fibre diet)
1 cup - raisins
1/4 cup - vegetable oil
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tbsp - Syrup (Use your favourite.  I used golden syrup since it was all I had in the house)
1/2 cup - boiled water

Pre-heat oven too 180 Celsius. Grease a 8 in square baking tin with oil or grease proof paper.

Step 1 - Measure out raisins into a bowl and cover in the boiled water.  Leave to soak for1 - 2 hours.  You could even leave them overnight.

Step 2 - Using a blender or hand blender, blitz the soften raisins to break them down. 

Step 3 - Add oil and syrup to the raisins and combine.

Step 4 - Measure out flour,  oats and cinnamon into a bowl. Stir together well with the raisin mix.

Step 5 - Pour into prepped baking tin and level the mixture out.  Bake in your oven for 25 - 30 Min's

Step 6 - Cut while still warm and leave to totally cool in the tin.  Flapjacks tend to break up if you take them out too soon.


I'm a total banana junkie, so next time I plan to add a mashed banana in with the recipe to see how it works xxxx

Top Tip - Use your local library, why buy a cook book and be disappointed. Take them out on loan instead and check to see if you still want to buy it. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding