body

10 Ways to cook Potatoe's - Dairy free

Potato

In honour of St Patricks Day, today's blog is all about the spud.  I always link potato's with Ireland, probably because I was learnt about the Irish Famine at School. There most traditional recipes using potato are, Colcannon and boxy pancakes.

1. Potato Dumplings

Globally you can find different versions of Potato Dumplings.  Iv been able to find vegan versions of a few. 

Italy has the Gnocchi

Norway has the Klubb

Germany has the Kartoffelkloesse

Czechoslovakia has the Knedlicky


Poland has the Polish Pierogi's - I'd seen these made on Diners, Drive ins and Dives and really wanted to make my own dairy free version.  Luckily I found a recipe On the Post Punk Kitchen Blog.  Making Pierogi's are a labour of love.  They take a long time to make, but the taste is worth it.  I didn't have any Apple sauce to go with them, so I made some dairy free vegetable gravy.  Brilliant comfort food. 




Even before I stopped eating meat or poultry, this was one of my favourite dishes.  Traditional Spanish tapa of boiled potato's  topped with Paprika spiced tomato sauce.  I prefer to chop mine into cubes and roast them instead, before mixing with the sauce. It stops them turning to mush in the sauce. 

The Canary Islands have there own version Papas Arrugadas served with a  Mojo sauce

3. Potato Lasagna

This version is a carb loaded one - potato lasagna version, where the potato's are used in the filling.  Or you could use your own favourite vegan lasagna recipe and substitute the pasta sheets for thinly sliced raw potato's.  Cook as a normal lasagne. 

4.  Potato Pie

The difference between dumplings and pies is that Pies are baked in the oven, while dumplings are boiled or steamed.

There are a lot of pies that are topped with sliced or mashed potato's.  I make my own version a Vegan Sheperdless Pie.  My mum's personal favourite thought is Cheese and onion Pie, where the potato is in the pie and topped with pastry.  This recipe is easy to make dairy free if you swap the ingredients for dairy free milk and vegan cheese. 

For something different you could try this Jewish  Potato Knish.

5.  Potato Bread

A great way of using up left over mashed tatties is to make Potato bread.   For a yeast free recipe try this quick Potato bread recipe.  To make it vegan swap the egg for your favourite substitute.  I like to use fresh ground linseed's, once added to hot water the oil that's released is similar to an egg white. 

For a traditional Scottish Recipe you could make Tattie Scones.  There usually fried as part of a full Scottish breakfast fry up.  I love them toasted and topped with a Fried Free range egg. 

6. Potato Curry

Aloo Dum - I can't have a list of recipes or links with out including some Indian Recipes.   There are also recipes for Potato Samosas and Potato-Bhaji

Indian isn't the only country that makes curry.  Try Aloo Hin -  a  Burmese recipe


7.  Instant Potatos



Mash Get Smash - Instant potato's are more of a nostalgic memory for me.  I use to love the adverts with the metal robot Aliens.  I discovered this Potato dedicated Internet site, while looking for strange recipes. 

I'm not a fan of Instant potato's, but I couldn't resist adding this one for  Marzipan.  Iv also seen recipes using instant potato's to make Gnocchi.  Iv  included them as there a usful cooking ingredient for people on a Gluten Free diet. 

8. Potato Cakes

Another recipe that has lot of versions Globally, one of these being  Potato Kephtides/ Keftedes from Greece.

For a sweeter version try the Tolerant vegans Chocolate potato cake .  Mashed potato's are used in baking to make the cake more moist.


9. Potato Dessert recipes

Sweet Potato is a common ingredient to use in dessert recipes, however there are a few out there using the good old White Spud.

Potato Halwa  - An Indian Dessert recipe

Vegan Boston Cream pie 


10. Potato Sweeties / Candy

There's a much loved Traditional Scottish Sweet - Macaroon bars, mixing mashed potato with icing sugar.  Dipped in chocolate then rolled in toasted coconut.  I still remember making these when I was in the Girl Guides.  I tried making these again last year, but not with much success.  I'll have to give them another go soon. 

The Americans have there own version called Pioneer potato candy.

And finally to celebrate St Patricks day - Potato Pinwheels.  They may be called  Irish Potato Candy, however the roots of this recipe seems to be Philadelphia. 


If you can think it, some ones probably already made it xxxx












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding