body

Here today and scone tomorrow


~Raining again..... So I decided to have a Potter day,  totally nothing to do with wizards or wet clay.  A potter day is one where you relax and and take your time doing odd jobs round the house.  For me a potter day usually involves baking in some form. 

I roasted a sweet potato last night, at the same time as I cook my dinner.  Good way to save electricity. Then left it too cool before scooping out the flesh.  I made the scones this morning, the only variation I made too my original recipe was too switch the ground cinnamon for Mixed Spice. 

They tasted even better than I remembered.  I plan to try them out on some friends to see if the pass the taste test with full fat dairy lovers.





Reduce Food waste Mission

My new years resolution was to further reduce my food waste.  It's not just because of the money I'll save, that's just a bonus. There are adults and children living in poverty over the world, even in our own country.  I hate the idea of throwing any food away, especially when I know there are people out there who have very little of there own. 

Charity adverts on TV upset me, as I just don't have the money to help them.  When I worked I was able to contribute to 2 Scottish Charity's.  Now I can't, doing little things at home and volunteering are my way of giving back to society.  If we don't look out for each other, who else will?

Kind of a Random link to why I then went on too bake  Banana Scones.  I still had dairy free yogurt frosting left over from the wacky cupcakes I made on Wednesday.  The frosting and the cup cakes, where a success.  They even passed my mum's taste test.  The only person that didn't like the frosting was me.  It was just too sweet for me....

My first thought automatically is what can I do with it to make it less sweet.  I went with my favourite fruit and added in a mashed banana.  The banana started to make the frosting curdle. 

How do I save the curdled frosting?   Add custard powder, it worked with my baked rice pudding.  Didn't work this time, probably because it really needs to be added to a hot liquid.  I did think about heating it to make a custard just was 100% sure it would work. 

I finally settled on making scones.  The frosting contained the same ingredients - Vegan butter, Soya yogurt and sugar.  All I needed to add was self raising flour and a little soya milk. 

 My freezer is now filled with scones and no food was wasted.  Total success xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding