body

Thank Banana it Friday...


Thank Banana it Friday or the Banana Project, came about because of a joke.  I love banana's and as a egg substitute I seem to add them to everything I bake dairy free.  I was being ribbed that I should write a book, 101 Things to do with Banana's.   My love of Banana's is now a standing joke.....

I love a challenge but 101 recipes is a bit much. So Instead I decided to test at least 1 Banana recipe a week for a whole year.


This weeks contribution.....  Sweet and Savoury Banana Empanada's


Dairy and egg free

There are several variations of this recipe on the Internet, but I used the one on Vegetarian Times.  There baked not deep fried, making them perfect for my IBS. 

I made the recipe in 2 stages.  The filling first , as it needed time to cool.  Then I made the Empanada dough, and let it rest in the fridge for 1 hr.  I got slightly over excited with the filling so mine, don't really look like the picture in the recipe.  Then for some reason I decided to crimp then like a Cornish pasty.

I admit I don't do pretty, but I do make tasty recipes.  I love the fact it's made with wholemeal flour, which adds a sweetness to the crust.   The Banana in the filling has the same sweet taste as roasted carrot or parsnip.  I doubt anyone would realise it was in there, unless you told them. 

I kept a part of the same empanada dough, so I could make a sweet version. 

Banana and cinnamon sugar empanada's

1 Banana - roughly mashed
1 tbsp - desiccated coconut
1 tbsp - Raisins
Pinch of Cinnamon
A little dairy free milk
1 tsp Sugar, mixed with 1/4 tsp Cinnamon

Makes enough filling for 2 empanada's. 

- Mix all the ingredient's together,  Spoon into empanada dough, seal down with a little dairy free milk.  Use the dairy free milk wash on the top, then sprinkle with Cinnamon sugar. 

- Bake at 180 Celsius, for 20 -25 Min's.  Cook till golden brown, allow to cool before eating.

Not bad for an adhoc recipe, that I made up in minutes.  The cinnamon sugar on the crust, works as the sweet part.  While you get the natural taste of the banana filling. 

Would be great as a dessert served warm with dairy free ice cream or dairy free yogurt.  I ate mine cold and enjoyed ever second of it.  I made myself freeze the extra one, as I knew I couldn't resist it. 

For a chocolate version, try using Tyler Florence food network recipe for the filling.


2 tasty recipes using the same empanada dough xxx





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding