body

Pasta for dessert - dairy free



Or rather Pasta for Breakfast



  
If you can use rice to make both sweet and savoury dishes, then why not pasta.  I had a vague memory of eating tinned creamed macaroni years ago.

After searching the Internet I discovered the one above using cous cous, a grain type of pasta.  I wanted a change from my normal breakfast, so used the recipe as a guide.   Iv tried making a sweet version of Cous Cous before but wasn't successful.  As I'd used water, instead of dairy free milk to cook the pasta. 

It was a pretty tasty alternative to my normal porridge.

Sharabelle's Cous Cous pudding - Breakfast for one

1 1/2 Cup of Dairy free milk
1/3 Cup Dried Cous Cous
1 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Mixed Spice
A handful of raisins


Warm the milk in a saucepan along with the sugar and spice.   Reduce to a low heat and add the raisins and Cous Cous.  Cover with a lid and leave for 10 Min's.  Or until all the dairy free milk has been absorbed.  Use a fork to fluff the grains before serving.

Serve with  - Fresh or stewed fruit, a spoonful of yogurt or some sliced almonds. 

Try using different flavoured Dairy free milk's to change the taste.  Would also work great with chocolate  soya milk, or by making your own dairy free hot chocolate. 





I decided to check in my Grandmas 1950's Good House keeping  Cookbook.  There was the recipe,  right next to the one i use to make Baked rice Pudding. 

I also discovered that Ambrosia still make sweet tinned macaroni, I remember eating.  It's just a pity that since I'm lactose intolerant I can't eat it any more. However I can still use my Grandma's recipe as a guide and make myself a vegan version. By  using Bird's Traditional Custard powder  to thicken the soya milk instead of an egg. 


Macaroni Pudding

2 oz dried Macaroni
1 pint milk
1 oz sugar
1 egg

Put the macaroni into a saucepan with the milk.  Simmer very gently until tender - about 30 Min's.  Remove from the heat, sweeten and cool slightly.  Stir in the beaten egg and pour the mixture into a buttered pie dish.  Bake in a moderate oven (180 Celsius) for about 30 Min's until lightly browned. 






 More Pasta for Dessert Recipes


Allergy free sweet noodle kugel  Made with Apple's, cinnamon and coconut milk. 

Sweet fruit Pierogi  A fruit filled polish pasta dumpling, poached in milk.

The nibble - Pasta Dessert recipes  A few recipes that would be easy to make Dairy free.

Moroccan Vermicelli Dessert recipe  An easy dessert recipe for using up broken noodles.

Sweet Pasta for one  Dessert for one, just substitute the half and half for Dairy free milk

Chocolate and coconut Orzo Recipe   Use dairy free coconut milk to replace the dairy, for extra flavour

Now all I need to do is chose which one to make next xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding