body

Meringue - Dairy and Gluten free

Misson:  Baking Pretty

I've just spent the last 3 nights sleeping in my bed, instead of the couch.  Which is a big thing to me.  I normally end up sleeping there due to my IBS, It's just easier to get into a comfy position that's enables me to sleep better. 

 If it's not the IBS, then it's due to my Anxiety Disorder and depression.  I don't like sleeping in bed when I'm having a bad day, I'm always afraid I wont want to get out of it the next day.   Where I know I will get off the couch, because the blanket and pillows will annoy me.  

Lol it's my own form of anxiety management, I try too use my negative traits in a positive way.   After a few years of really bad insomnia, it's not where I sleep that counts.  My Doctor told me, it's getting sleep that really matters. 

No matter where I sleep I'm usually awake between 5 am or 7 am.  Since I was up early I decided to practise my baking pretty skills by working on my piping.  I made the meringues for this weeks library book club. 

The great thing about meringues is that as long as you avoid cross contamination there both Dairy and Gluten free.  It always amazes me that all you need to make them is 2 ingredients - Free Range Egg white and caster sugar

Making meringues takes a lot of time, I generally always have a cup of peppermint tea and a book on hand.  Watching egg whites whip up is a lot like watching paint drying....  Keeping busy ensures I don't get impatient, and that the mix reaches the crucial stiff peak stage.

My piping skills totally suck, so I gave up and free formed the rest with the help of a tea spoon.  Personally I think they look a lot better. 

Grandma's Meringue Recipe

4 egg whites
8 oz caster sugar

Tip 1 - Use a glass or metal baking bowl.  Wipe down thoroughly to make sure there's no grease inside.  As this can stop the egg whites whipping up.

Tip 2 - Use a hand or stand mixer.  Saves the wrists and stops you getting carpal tunnel syndrome.

Pre-heat oven too 100 Celsius.  Prepare a couple of baking trays. 

Whisk the egg whites on the lowest speed till they start to get foamy.  Move up to the next speed and keep whisking till they get fluffy.

Once fluffy slowly start adding the sugar in a spoonful at a time.  Once all the sugar is added keep whisking till the egg whites reach a stiff peak.

Tip 3 - Stiff Peak = When you can pull your whisk out of the egg whites and they hold there form. 

Tip 4 - Use some of the meringue from the whisk as glue to secure baking parchment to your baking tray. 

Simplest way to form a meringue is too use a spoon.  Use a teaspoon for small ones and tablespoons for larger ones.  Drop onto your baking sheet and use the back of the spoon to create the swirl.   Try to space them evenly on the baking sheet as they will spread. 

For Soft Centred Meringues: - Bake for 1 hour, turn off the oven and leave them to cool.  Overnight is best.

For Firm Centred Meringues: - Bake for 2 - 3 hours, turn off the oven and leave them in too cool. 


There great on there own, iv already taste tested a few.However you can make them more special by serving with dairy & Gluten free whipped cream and fresh fruit.

Or dip into cooled melted dairy & gluten free chocolate.  Leave the chocolate to harden, on grease proof paper or baking parchment.  Makes them easier to remove once the chocolate hardens xxx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding