body

St Patrick day - Sweet Pea Fairy cakes

St Patrick day Fairy cakes

After yesterdays blog 10 ways to cook Green Pea's - Dairy free.  I couldn't resist making the Green pea cup cake recipe.  St Patricks day on the 17th March, just give me the perfect excuse. 

I thought making Fairy cakes seemed more appropriate, than cup cakes for celebrating an Irish Saint.  Cup cakes are a pretty new phenomenon in the UK. Traditionally we always made fairy cakes or queen cakes, a smaller cousin of the cup cake. 

I have fond memories of my Granny baking them for us as children.  Even when she started to loose her sight, they still tasted great.  You just needed to watch out for the odd egg shell, none of us had the heart to tell her. 

I halved the recipe for testing, just in case it was totally inedible.  Went with a dairy free and egg free recipe.  The cake batter was a bit thicker than I like, so I added some soya yogurt.

 Fairy cakes rose in the oven and have a lovely pale green colour.  Pretty surprised they also tasted good.   Only problem I have is with the texture, I think it could be even lighter.  If I was to make them again I used the Kitchen Scoop recipe.  

It would be a fun recipe to make with kids, and is one way of making sure they get there 5 a day xxxx








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding