body

Thank Banana it's Friday



I'm Banana's about Banana's

I have to say "Thank Banana's its Friday".

STOP THE PRESS:  - For only the second time since Iv had to give up all dairy products, I was able to eat some home baking that I hadn't made myself. 

 I had gone to SAMH this morning to get help filling out my latest medical form. It's not the easiest thing to do, Sitting my Open University Social Science exams was a lot easier. 

I was kindly offered a slice of Chocolate chip banana cake.  Usually at this point, I'm trying to work out how to decline with out offended the person and going into a long explanation about being lactose intolerant.  Then she said the Magic Words "It's Totally Vegan"

I felt like Id won a prize or the lottery.  It tasted as great as it looked, especially since it was baked with my favourite vegan dark chocolate Chips.  It was also highly appropriate eating Banana cake on  Thank Banana it's Friday day......


Iv been able to make a few of my own Banana creations this week.  There all pretty quick and easy recipes, so I wanted to group them together. 

The first recipe I tested was the Brazilian recipe above for Coffee Banana's.  I would never have thought about putting those 2 flavours together but it really works.  The recipe requires no actual cooking other than boiling a kettle.  I think of this as a Nigella recipe, as it looks brilliant but requires very little work or effort. 

All you need to make this one is coffee granules, one banana per person, soy yogurt and brown sugar.  I mixed 1 tsp of instant coffee, with 1 tsp of boiled water and left it too cool.  I then mashed a banana and mixed the 2 together, before spooning into a glass.  Topped this with a tablespoon of plain Soya yogurt and sprinkled the top with Brown sugar and sliced almonds.  The Brown sugar dissolves into the yogurt created an instant Carmel sauce.  The combination of the 3 layers tastes totally decadent, it's hard to remember it's a really healthy recipe. 

Dairy free steamed egg
topped with


Second Banana experiment, I was randomly searching the Internet for banana combinations and found this one.  It's an easy and quick jam recipe, that makes just enough to last a week.  Which is perfect because that's how long it will keep in the fridge.  I made a dessert version of a steamed egg recipe using soya milk, then topped it with the Banana Jam. 

Iv also served it on crisp Rye vita crackers and used it to top my porridge in the morning.  Very tasty, I couldn't stop myself going to the fridge and eating a spoonful straight from the jar mmm.


Third experiment this week - Banana Peel Tea . Another word combination I googled on the Internet.  Probably the second  most important piece of knowledge I learnt, while studying for my OU Social Science degree.  If you can think it, some one else has probably already made it or attempted too.

Top piece of knowledge being - The only thing I know is that I know nothing.

I have mental health problems,  So I did get some funny looks at the Pantry on Tuesday when I made this one. I'd taken the peel off my banana and put it in a mug full of boiled water.  Best way to cope with a mental health problem is too keep your sense of humour, lol. 

I'm always looking for ways to reduce food waste, and this has got to be the most bizarre one Iv discovered.  I couldn't help myself when I found a blog about it on the Internet, I had to find out for myself if it worked.  IT DOES....

 I like to leave the banana peel to brew in the boiled water till it cools enough to be able to drink.  I also like to cover the top of the mug, turning it into a mini tea pot.  Remove the banana peel and enjoy your tea.  The tea has the same calming qualities as Chamomile tea, so really good if your feeling stressed.

Fourth banana experiment this week - Chocolate Covered banana Bites.  I'm kind of addicted to the cooking channels. I might not be able to eat the recipes, but I get some great idea's this being one of them.  I can't remember the show but I do remember seeing banana's being unpeeled and screwed onto an ice cream stick.  After being frozen overnight, they were then dipped in melted chocolate and sprinkled with a choice of toppings.

I knew frozen banana's have a great texture, as Iv used the same process to make quick dairy free Banana Ice cream. Only this time I had to cover them in melted chocolate rather than blitzing them in the food processor. 

Chocolate covered banana bites

- Chop a banana into large pieces and stick on a tooth pick before freezing over night.

- Next day, melt chocolate and allow to cool slightly so it doesn't melt the banana's. (I love Dark chocolate)

- Get a plate ready with your topping (I used desiccated coconut) and line a plate or tin with grease proof paper.

- Holding the toothpick, dip the banana into the chocolate and then into the toppings.  Gently place on the grease proof paper.  The chocolate will set quickly on the frozen banana.

- Return too the freezer to firm up, and remove 20 Min's before serving. 

This reminded me of eating a chocolate covered ice cream lolly.  The defrosting banana has a lovely soft texture, that contrasts great with the crispy chocolate. 


Just finished my banana peel tea and Im ready to have my afternoon snack of Brazilian coffee banana dessert xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding