body

Vegan Lemon cupcakes


Working on pretty

Iv got a good selection of basic recipes now that I can tweak depending on the season or friends personal tastes.  I really needed a new challenge, so I gave my self one.  To start making my home baking more pretty. 

I normally cook dairy free or vegan versions of traditional home baking, I just love the nostalgic look of them. Brings back wonderful childhood memories for me.  However not every one likes the nostalgic look.

Last week I road tested my vanilla and chocolate wacky cup cakes on the guys at the Pantry.  They loved the light texture of the cake and really enjoyed the dairy free butter cream.  After much debate, it was decided I'd cook them my lemon soda cake for this weeks taste test. 

I had an extra cup cake on Monday after baking for my niece, so kept it for my mum.  I cut it in half and spread raspberry jam in the middle.  It looked so cute,  like a mini Victoria Sandwich cake.

So i decided to do the same this week for the guys.  Iv cut the lemon soda cup cakes in half, and sandwiched them together with lemon butter cream.  Before finishing them of with a dusting of sifted icing sugar. 

Think I was a little heavy handed with the icing sugar!!!!

Iv finally found a frosting that's not too sweet - Vegan Lemon Frosting Recipe.  

Learning how not to do something...

Since going totally dairy free for my health (IBS), Iv learnt many ways how not to bake a vegan cake.  Learning how not to make something eventually does come in handy, today was one of those days. 

I knew as soon as I added the wet and dry ingredients together, that the texture wasn't right.  So I used my intuition and added more soda water to the batter till it achieved the right consistency.  The cup cakes have turned out nice and light so no baking materials got wasted. 

When I transferred my recipes from my old battered blue note book, I must have make an error.  Adjusted it now, so next time I won't get blind sided. 

Lemon Soda Cup cakes  - Makes 9 Cupcakes

200g Self Rising Flour
175g caster sugar ( or 100g for a low sugar version)
1 tsp Baking powder
60 ml Vegetable oil
Zest of half a lemon
250ml Soda water

Pre heat oven too 180 Celsius, and add cup cake cases to your muffin tin.

- Measure out your flour and baking powder into a bowl.  Whisk to loosen the flour, will save you from sieving it in.

- In a jug add the sugar, zest, oil and finally the soda water.  (It will fizz up don't worry)

- Pour into the bowl with the flour and beat together till you have a smooth cake batter.

- Spoon into the muffin cases, then place straight into the oven.  Bake for 12 - 15 Min's.

TOP TIP:   Because Vegan baking relies on non traditional raising agents, they need to be baked straight away. This ensures  a lovely light cake. 

- Like traditional baking once cooked, the middle of the cup cake should spring back when lightly touched.  You can always double check by using a tooth pick as a skewer. 

- Leave them in the muffin tins for 10 Min's before moving to a wire cooling rack.  Allow to cool completey before adding any frosting or glazes.  Other wise in the immortal words of Cup Cake Wars   " It's a disaster......."   

Not really sure I'm supposed to find the show funny...  but it cracks me up every time someone says it. 








 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding