body

Foods that SHOULD be dairy free

I used to love making all my own food from scratch, however since being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia I can't do this anymore.  The major problem is my hands.  Every so often the muscles twitch in my legs and hands, and I really do not want to be holding a knife when that happens.

So Iv been browsing the Supermarket aisles for my favourite foods. I've learnt the hard way when you have a food intolerance that It's best to always check the ingredients. 

Much to my dismay foods that should not contain dairy seem to have it added.  

Authentic Mexican Guacamole does not contain cream.  However more than one supermarket is guilty of this mistake.  

Guacamole

Asda Guacamole

ASDA Guacamole
Contains Double cream

Tesco Guacamole

Tesco Guacamole 163G
Contains Single Cream

Morrisons Mexican style Guacamole


Contains Double Cream


Check out this site to make your own - Classic Mexican Guacamole Recipe




Classic Coleslaw


Coleslaw

Coleslaw has a similar problem, for example nearly all Sainsbury's own brands contain cream.  The other Supermarkets I've been to are the same.

If creamy is in the product name there is a good chance dairy has been added.  Ironically all the own brand basic products are dairy free, meaning they cost a lot less. I buy the basic versions. as it's easy to add a little extra Mayonnaise and seasoning to suit my own tastes.  Try adding Sweet Chilli sauce in to make a spicy version.


Sushi
Maki Sushi Rolls

Sushi a traditional Japanese food, should not contain dairy.  Unfortunately British Supermarket versions have dairy added.  Why they need to add single cream or soft cheese is beyond me...

(Note: soy sauce is made with Wheat so pre-made Sushi is not suitable if you have a Gluten intolerance or Allergy)
  
The Asda, Tesco and Morrisons packs that I checked all contained dairy.  So be extra Careful and always check the ingredients, as there not always printed in bold lettering.  

I love Sushi, it's one of my favourite foods.  Supermarkets are missing out on a large part of the consumer market, by adding dairy to there vegetarian versions. 

 Mayonnaise



Original recipes for Mayonnaise should be dairy free.  The creaminess occurs when the egg yolk and oil mix together.  I've been trying to be healthier and decided to look at the lighter options, was shocked to discover they had dairy added. 

Hellmann's Light and Hellmann's lighter than versions have cream powder added.

Strangely the Hellmann's Seriously good mayonnaise and the Seriously good light Mayonnaise don't have any dairy added?

The only difference is one product is in a glass jars and the others are in plastic squeezy bottles.  

Double check Supermarket own brands if your looking to buy the lighter versions in case they have dairy added too.  

Crisps/Chips

It's Common sense that crisps with sour cream or cheese in the product name contain dairy.  However other flavours also seem to have dairy added into them as well.  Sometimes dairy is added for mouth feel of a product rather than the taste.


Normal salted potato crisps are the only ones I feel safe buying.  As wheat/gluten products can also be added for flavouring into crisps as well.   


Muesli

Some muesli's have dairy powder added as well, which doesn't make sense to me since you add milk to your cereal!!


Swiss Style Muesli always has milk powder added, regular muesli shouldn't.  However that isn't always the case, so always check out the ingredients.   



Why producers feel the need to add dairy to foods that don't need it I have no idea.  From my observation the premium version of these items, which cost more have a lot of extra ingredients added. Extra ingredients does not always equal a better flavour.   It just goes to show that if you have a food intolerance the basic own brands seem to be the safest to buy.    

Verdict - Why mess around with classic recipes, a simple product made well is always going to win at the end of the day.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding