body

PUNJABI CHORLEY - REVIEW

Ashoka Punjabi Choley

Food Memories

I love Indian food, they have amazing vegetarian dishes.  When I was 10yrs old, we moved to a new house.  Next door an Indian family moved in.The mother didn't speak English and we didn't speak Indian, but it did not matter. 

When the mother had any extra home cooking she would pass it over the fence. In return my mum would hand over jars of homemade jam.

My first taste of Indian food couldn't have been more authentic.  Her onion bhajis are still the best I have ever tasted.   We might not have spoken the same language but food brought us together.  

One of my favourite Indian dishes is Chana Masala, a chickpea curry.  The ones I've made myself are just never the same.

So was really excited when I discovered Punjabi Choley, another type of chickpea curry.  It's great that Asda has a whole section of authentic Indian ingredients and foods.  

Ashoka - Punjabi Choley

Vegan and Gluten free.

The pack says there are 2 servings, however I don't think it's enough.  I suggest adding a can of cooked chickpeas or extra vegetables to bulk it up. There is plenty of curry sauce to cope with the extra ingredients.  

The spicing is perfectly balanced, the only problem I had was there was too much salt.  A whole 36% of your daily value, it was the only thing that let it down.

I had the first meal with rice, the salt just totally overwhelmed my taste buds.  The next day I added it too boiled potatoes.  Potatoes are great foods for over salted food.  The combination worked and I enjoyed it a lot more.  

The current Asda price is 85p, normal price £1.50.  I don't think I would buy the product for the full price.  

This is only my personal opinion based on my own taste buds.  I love salt but this was way too much.  On hindsight I think adding half a tin of chopped tomatoes, would combat the over salting without watering down the spices.  If you give it a try let me know how you get on.  

Suggestions

- Add extra chickpeas (I used tins of chickpea)
- Add 1/2 tin of chopped tomato
- Add extra vegetables, try cauliflower or potato.  Often found in Indian vegetarian curries.   





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding