body

IBS - My Story


My Story
I've had IBS for over 20 years now, when I was first diagnosed no one had heard of it.  Which meant explaining it was embarrassing.  Things have change which is great, however there is still a lot of confusion about it.  Sufferers of the condition get lumped together with people on fad diets. 

I have a dairy and gluten intolerance.  There are also a whole range of foods I avoid as they can trigger either my IBS and Acid Reflux problems.  I was diagnosed with IBS by my Doctor, I did not just decide I had it.  I would love to take a magic pill and make these problems go away.  No one wishes to be in pain.  
When I'm talking to people about my IBS and they come up with all these wonderful ways I can get rid of it.  I have the perfect answer for them .....
I'd previously had E-coli food poisoning.

EscherichiaColi NIAID.jpg
Unfortunately I was misdiagnosed by the Doctor who came to see me on a home visit.  He diagnosed me as having stomach colic on a Monday.  I had another home call on the Wednesday and was told I had chilled kidneys.  Then environmental health came to the door on the Friday, telling me I had E-coli.  I'm not ashamed to admit I cried, to think that I could have been in hospital getting help for the pain.  

My symptoms started on the previous Saturday, after a works night out.  I thought at first, it was just a hangover.  To this day, it's the worse pain I have ever felt.  At least an IBS stomach spasm eventually stop. The e-coli pain lasted for 5 days, non stop.
Usually my story is enough to shut them up.  Those of us with IBS should not have to validate what we eat and why.  
Gastric illnesses and food poisoning are just one of the causes of IBS.  It's referred to as Post-Infectious IBS.  
The most common symptoms of IBS are:
  • abdominal (stomach) pain and cramping, which may be relieved by having a poor diet
  • a change in your bowel habits  such as diarrhoea, constipation, or sometimes both
  • bloating and swelling of your stomach  
  • excessive wind (flatulence)
  • occasionally experiencing an urgent need to go to the toilet
  • a feeling that you have not fully emptied your bowels after going to the toilet 
  • passing mucus from your bottom 
  • NHS
Food intolerance's 
Food intolerance's often are found in people who have IBS.  Due to my Doctors advice when ever my symptoms get worse I would start a food diary.  Usually this is enough to discover what's causing the problem.  This is how I discovered I was lactose intolerant.  
Once I stopped drinking and eating dairy products my symptoms went away.  I was okay for a few years, however as you get older you can develop more problems.  My IBS got really bad again 2 years ago.  Ironically I was eating more bread and cake products as a result of my baking adventures.  That's how I discovered I had a gluten intolerance's.
Eating foods containing gluten can trigger a range of gut-related symptoms, such as:
  • diarrhoea, which may smell particularly unpleasant
  • abdominal pain.
  • bloating and flatulence (passing wind)
  • indigestion.
  • constipation.
  • NHS Choice

Image result for ibs


I've tried to be open and honest on this blog about my mental health problems, with depression and anxiety.  The reason being that anyone with a medical condition or an on going illness, is more likely to have mental health problems.
It's very rarely that someone only has one medical problem. It's important to get help for both physical and mental health conditions.  Our mental health can have a negative effect on our physical health and vice versa.  

In October last year I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  I had spent the 3 months previous going to and from the Doctors, trying to explain that these were not normal symptoms for me.  The one positive thing about having IBS, is you learn more about your own body.  You know what's normal pain and when it's not.  

People with fibromyalgia can have problems with IBS, depression, anxiety and chronic fatigue.  Which I found ironic, Ive spent the last 3 years being told that my fatigue was due to my mental health problems.  Now finally every thing made sense.  

My mental health has taken a big hit, since I feel I've lost more control over my body.  I went from working in a busy cafe, doing very physical work.  To not being able to lift anything heavy or doing too much.  I now find it exhausting just hanging out my washing.  Ive had to slow down my walking pace so much, that I now get overtaken by pensioners.  Which i found highly amusing.

As you can see I still have my sense of humour.  Some of the symptoms we go through or events that occur are just so absurd. Your find yourself having discussions about bowel movements.  I would rather laugh than cry over it.

Listen to your body

Image result for my medical condition is more real than your medical knowledge

I discovered this quote a few months ago, it seems appropriate.  There are too many people out there only willing to lecture, on how you can magically cure your condition.  

IBS, Mental Health problems and Fibromyalgia are all examples of invisible illnesses.  Too often we encounter people that are sceptical that there is anything wrong with us.  What they do not know is that you get really good at hiding the pain.  Because frankly I get bored talking about.

You know your body better than anyone else.  If you find yourself in this sort of situation just say your following your Doctors advice.  

The most important thing to remember is that you are not alone.  Check out official charity website if you want more advice or to look for a community group for support.

IBS Network

MIND - the mental health charity

Fibromyalgia information


Comments

  1. This bowel health condition can be quite painful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) can be a deeply personal journey, and sharing personal stories can provide comfort and support to others facing similar challenges. Meri Sehat invites individuals to share their experiences with IBS through personal narratives and testimonials. By sharing their stories, individuals can raise awareness about IBS, foster understanding, and offer hope to others navigating the condition. Additionally, online doctor consultations offer expert medical advice and support for individuals seeking to better manage their IBS symptoms and improve their quality of life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding